    that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
    Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

    So, any recommendations?
    yoda007x, Feb 6, 2008

  2. yoda007x

    Mark Space Guest

    yoda007x wrote:
    > I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
    > anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
    > that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
    > Variables hold stuff". I know all that.
    >
    > So, any recommendations?

    _Learning Java_ by O'Reilly is a good start. It does cover basics like
    control structures and syntax, but you need that because Java is just
    different enough where extrapolating directly from C won't work all the
    time. Learning Java covers enough advanced material to keep the books
    as a reference for a long time. Be sure to get the latest edition
    (third I think).

    Also the online tutorial from Sun provides good information. I don't
    find it as well organized as Learning Java, but it provides an excellent
    way to get information and examples on nearly any subject you might need.

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

    Along with the tutorial, the API reference is indispensable. Look up
    classes with Google by appending " se 6" (with spaces) to the class name.

    Finally, I like the javapassion.com site. It's maintained by a Sun
    employee and researcher, and is an excellent resource for getting
    started on many subjects. I found the intro to Java course useful. It
    was very remedial in many ways, but the exercises writing code were good
    reinforcement, and the organization of the course was better than
    anything I could have come up with on my own. I managed to learn
    something almost every class, even if it was just some productivity
    quirk of NetBeans.

    http://www.javapassion.com/
    http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/
    Mark Space, Feb 6, 2008

  3. yoda007x

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    yoda007x wrote:
    > I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
    > anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
    > that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
    > Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

    I think you will find the C# -> Java move relative easy.

    1) spend 10 minutes reading a list of differences between the
    languages like http://www.25hoursaday.com/CsharpVsJava.html

    2) download a copy of the JavaDocs for Java API so you can browse
    it on your own PC

    3) spend 10 minutes reading Java coding convention
    http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/

    4) start coding !!

    :)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Feb 6, 2008
  4. On 6 fev, 18:46, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > yoda007x wrote:
    > > I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
    > > anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
    > > that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
    > > Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

    > I think you will find the C# -> Java move relative easy.

    1) spend 10 minutes reading a list of differences between the
    > languages likehttp://www.25hoursaday.com/CsharpVsJava.html

    2) download a copy of the JavaDocs for Java API so you can browse
    > it on your own PC

    3) spend 10 minutes reading Java coding convention
    > http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/

    4) start coding !!

    > :)
    >
    > Arne

    I think most of people that use the two technologies learned first
    Java and then went to C#, looking for it at amazon (using the keywords
    "Java" and "C#") the search result in a lot of well rated books like
    this: http://www.amazon.com/C-Java-Develo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202344882&sr=1-1
    , which maybe useful. But I think the best advice it is to follow the
    four steps in quote.
    Wesley Mesquita, Feb 7, 2008
  5. yoda007x

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:28:15 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <>

    >I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
    >anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
    >that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
    >Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

    You should feel at home fairly soon. C# was designed as a dialect of
    Java with more programmer-friendly syntax. Underneath they are
    similar. In turn C# has inspired Java to adopt more
    programmer-friendly syntax such as for:each.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Feb 7, 2008
  6. yoda007x

    yoda007x Guest

    On Feb 6, 8:49 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:28:15 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <>
    >
    > >I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
    > >anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
    > >that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
    > >Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

    > You should feel at home fairly soon. C# was designed as a dialect of
    > Java with more programmer-friendly syntax. Underneath they are
    > similar. In turn C# has inspired Java to adopt more
    > programmer-friendly syntax such as for:each.
    >
    > seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    These are some very insightful and useful responses, not to mention
    timely. I appreciate it guys.

    Yoda
    yoda007x, Feb 7, 2008
  7. yoda007x

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:30:57 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <>

    >> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

    Why does the space disappear after the word "see"

    Roedy Green, Feb 9, 2008
  8. yoda007x

    for a start follow the links at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/csharp.html

    Roedy Green, Feb 9, 2008
  9. yoda007x

    Lars Enderin Guest

    Roedy Green skrev:
    > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:30:57 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <>
    >

    >>> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

    > Why does the space disappear after the word "see"

    It's a bug in Google Groups.
    Lars Enderin, Feb 9, 2008