    Sun, IBM, other?

    Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?

    Thanks, Bill
    Bill, Jul 17, 2004

  2. (Bill) writes:

    > Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?

    No.

    (J# is an adaption of Java 1.1.x to make it easier for developer who
    wrote code using J++ to port their code to .Net.)
    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Bill

    Chris Smith Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Have been using MS VB for quite some time. I like the MS VB editor,
    > especially auto-complete, droopdown menus, and context sensitive help.
    >
    > Is there a GOOD Java IDE comparable to MS editor's features? Borland,
    > Sun, IBM, other?

    You'll find plenty of answers. For basic features like you're
    suggesting (auto-complete and dropdowns, etc), pretty much any major IDE
    will work. Two IDEs that provide these and even far more helpful
    features are Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA. The former is free, and the
    latter costs money. Their advanced features may take some growing into
    before you use them a lot, but they are very helpful once you've
    discovered them.

    For something more fully along the VB line, Sun's Java Studio Creator is
    supposed to fit the bill, but I've never tried it.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jul 17, 2004
  4. Bill

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 17 Jul 2004 07:07:24 -0700, (Bill) wrote or
    quoted :

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 17, 2004
  5. On 17 Jul 2004 07:07:24 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > Have been using MS VB for quite some time.

    Have you also been multi-posting for some time?

    Please restrict your posts to c.l.j.help
    until you can figure why multi-posting is
    so counter-productive.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>

    BTW - I have never programmed VB but one gotcha'
    you will face is that there are very few 'D&D'
    GUI designers for Java, and those that exist are
    usually bad. For the simple reason you cannot write
    an x-platform UI that way.

    Follow that up (if you wish) on a single, more
    specific group.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 17, 2004
  6. (Bill) wrote in news:dd8f8718.0407170607.3eab2b73
    @posting.google.com:

    > Is there a GOOD Java IDE comparable to MS editor's features? Borland,
    > Sun, IBM, other?

    I have been using for the last two years

    http://www.eclipse.org/

    It's free, has plenty of plugins, is extremely flexible.
    The auto-complete is 10x better
    than Visual Studio's. It has Tooltip help, context-sensitive help,
    you name it.

    > Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?

    Nope.

    --
    Andrea Spinelli - IT&T srl
    Via Sigismondi, 40 - 24018 Villa d'Alme' (BG)
    Andrea Spinelli, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Bill

    ChrisH Guest

    > It's free, has plenty of plugins, is extremely flexible.
    > The auto-complete is 10x better
    > than Visual Studio's. It has Tooltip help, context-sensitive help,
    > you name it.

    I'm also working in vb.net, but exploring Java.

    There seem to be so many plugins, and many seem to overlap.

    Can you recommend a few? (Free is preferable.)

    Also, can anyone recommend a way of building GUIs?
    ChrisH, Jul 22, 2004
  8. Bill

    Dave Monroe Guest

    (Bill) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Have been using MS VB for quite some time. I like the MS VB editor,
    > especially auto-complete, droopdown menus, and context sensitive help.
    >
    > Is there a GOOD Java IDE comparable to MS editor's features? Borland,
    > Sun, IBM, other?
    >
    > Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?
    >
    > Thanks, Bill

    Take a look at:

    http://www.netbeans.org
    Dave Monroe, Jul 23, 2004