Experienced VB programmer trying to learn Java - Which IDE is best?

Bill

Have been using MS VB for quite some time. I like the MS VB editor,
especially auto-complete, droopdown menus, and context sensitive help.

Is there a GOOD Java IDE comparable to MS editor's features? Borland,
Sun, IBM, other?

Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?

Thanks, Bill

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?

No.

(J# is an adaption of Java 1.1.x to make it easier for developer who
wrote code using J++ to port their code to .Net.)

Chris Smith

Bill said:
Have been using MS VB for quite some time. I like the MS VB editor,
especially auto-complete, droopdown menus, and context sensitive help.

Is there a GOOD Java IDE comparable to MS editor's features? Borland,
Sun, IBM, other?

You'll find plenty of answers. For basic features like you're
suggesting (auto-complete and dropdowns, etc), pretty much any major IDE
will work. Two IDEs that provide these and even far more helpful
features are Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA. The former is free, and the
latter costs money. Their advanced features may take some growing into
before you use them a lot, but they are very helpful once you've
discovered them.

For something more fully along the VB line, Sun's Java Studio Creator is
supposed to fit the bill, but I've never tried it.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Andrew Thompson

Have been using MS VB for quite some time.

Have you also been multi-posting for some time?

Please restrict your posts to c.l.j.help
until you can figure why multi-posting is
so counter-productive.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>

BTW - I have never programmed VB but one gotcha'
you will face is that there are very few 'D&D'
GUI designers for Java, and those that exist are
usually bad. For the simple reason you cannot write
an x-platform UI that way.

Follow that up (if you wish) on a single, more
specific group.

Andrea Spinelli

(e-mail address removed) (Bill) wrote in @posting.google.com:
Is there a GOOD Java IDE comparable to MS editor's features? Borland,
Sun, IBM, other?

I have been using for the last two years

http://www.eclipse.org/

It's free, has plenty of plugins, is extremely flexible.
The auto-complete is 10x better
than Visual Studio's. It has Tooltip help, context-sensitive help,
you name it.
Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?

Nope.

ChrisH

It's free, has plenty of plugins, is extremely flexible.
The auto-complete is 10x better
than Visual Studio's. It has Tooltip help, context-sensitive help,
you name it.
I'm also working in vb.net, but exploring Java.

There seem to be so many plugins, and many seem to overlap.

Can you recommend a few? (Free is preferable.)

Also, can anyone recommend a way of building GUIs?

Dave Monroe

Have been using MS VB for quite some time. I like the MS VB editor,
especially auto-complete, droopdown menus, and context sensitive help.

Is there a GOOD Java IDE comparable to MS editor's features? Borland,
Sun, IBM, other?

Can I use Visual Studio's J# IDE as a way tool to learn Java?

Thanks, Bill

Take a look at:

http://www.netbeans.org