Expert suggestion needed for a asp based web application

Jack

Hi,
We have a couple of web applications where data is updated on a weekly
basis. The data entry is done in a vb access application which is kept
internal. The database is uploaded to the web which has a web interface for
clients to check their records. Thus dat a gets updated once a week.

In a new application, I would like to build a single web based application,
where the data entry is done from the same application and clients would look
up their records from the web. The clients should have only read access. In
other words, I would like to do the system real time. My question is whether
I would face any problem when somebody needs to edit a record while a client
wants to read record.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mjkahn

Sounds like less of an IIS/ASP question and more of a database question.

Write the database access part of the web-based application in the same way
you'd write a separate VB application that reads from your Access database.
Use transactions around any part of the first app that modifies the database.
As long as your transactions are short, your read-only client (whether it's
web-based or completely in VB) won't be adversely affected by anyone who's
writing a record that the client is trying to read.

Jack

Thanks for the helpful advise. I appreciate it.

mjkahn said:
Sounds like less of an IIS/ASP question and more of a database question.

Write the database access part of the web-based application in the same way
you'd write a separate VB application that reads from your Access database.
Use transactions around any part of the first app that modifies the database.
As long as your transactions are short, your read-only client (whether it's
web-based or completely in VB) won't be adversely affected by anyone who's
writing a record that the client is trying to read.

Jeff Cochran

Hi,
We have a couple of web applications where data is updated on a weekly
basis. The data entry is done in a vb access application which is kept
internal. The database is uploaded to the web which has a web interface for
clients to check their records. Thus dat a gets updated once a week.

In a new application, I would like to build a single web based application,
where the data entry is done from the same application and clients would look
up their records from the web. The clients should have only read access. In
other words, I would like to do the system real time. My question is whether
I would face any problem when somebody needs to edit a record while a client
wants to read record.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You might want to think about not using Access. SQL Server can handle
this with ease, even MSDE would probably be a better option.

Beyond that, you can use a disconnected record set for the client,
they manipulate data in the record set and not the database itself.
Even if you have just a simple query, the odds of there even being an
issue would be small. Of course this really depends on whether it's
critical that data seen by the client is absolutely up to the minute
accurate.

Jeff