Expire Header

Discussion in 'HTML' started by shapper, Dec 11, 2008.

  1. shapper

    shapper Guest

    shapper, Dec 11, 2008

  2. shapper

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:27:33 -0800 (PST), shapper <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am using Yahoo Best Pratices and I get a suggestion for my web site:
    >
    >"Add an Expires header"
    >http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires
    >
    >What does this means?
    >Should I add something on my pages head section?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Miguel

    I have no idea what they're claiming but it definitely does not go
    into html.
    This is something that would be applied to the server itself. Not the
    web page.

    richard, Dec 11, 2008

  3. shapper

    Roy A. Guest

    On 11 Des, 05:53, richard <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:27:33 -0800 (PST), shapper <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,

    > >I am using Yahoo Best Pratices and I get a suggestion for my web site:

    > >"Add an Expires header"
    > >http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires

    > >What does this means?
    > >Should I add something on my pages head section?

    Header in this case, means an http-header.

    > Should I add something on my pages head section?

    You can change this on the server or in a server-side script. But
    don't bother to much, it will make your site harder to develop and
    maintain. In most cases it will be better to let the browser handel
    the cache. Maybe the most used pages on Yahoo would benefit from this,
    but non of them are static.

    > I have no idea what they're claiming [...]

    Neither do I. I can't imagine where that might be useful except from a
    static html archive, where the same user is visiting the same page
    multiple times, and is likely to do that for long period of time. I
    would say that "best pratice" would be the opposite, and that it
    rarely would be best to 'implement an "Never expire" policy'.

    Roy A., Dec 11, 2008