explain differences - regarding Visual Studio Team Suite

Elmo Watson

Up until now, we've only used VS.Net and Visual Source Safe 6

So - now I hear about Visual Studio Teams Suite and Visual Studio Team
Foundation Server

What is all this, and how do they fit in the scenario provided by Visual
Source Safe?

Mark Rae [MVP]

What is all this, and how do they fit in the scenario provided by Visual
Source Safe?

For get VSS6 - it's terrible.

Thankfully, VSS.NET 2005 is about a million times better...

Elmo Watson

So, that might be a better way to go than the whole Team Suite/Foundation
Server route then?

Also - if we wanted to migrate from 6 to 2005 - are there any sites that
list steps needed to be handled for it?

Mark Rae [MVP]

So, that might be a better way to go than the whole Team Suite/Foundation
Server route then?

IMO, yes unless you've got a large team...
Also - if we wanted to migrate from 6 to 2005 - are there any sites that
list steps needed to be handled for it?

If you take my advice, you won't even try...

Check everything out, break the bindings to VS6, and rebind to VSS.NET
2005...

Andrew Faust

Or if you want a powerful free solution you can use Subversion. It's used
by a lot of large open source projects.

Whatever you do get off VSS6.

--
Andrew Faust