explaining web standards to clients

dorayme

From: "Jonathan N. Little said:
Couple of things though, firstly it's Jonathan with 2 a's not a prolong
race involving porcelain fixtures ;-)

Oops... don't panic, I have just made a little sticky note to remind me to
only ever cut and paste your name in future, <command
v>Jonathan said:
If you have Mozilla why are you using OE for the newsgroup? In either
case if you create a text file and put

OK, just did it in OE. and saved it. Under tools menu, signature. Only
options were to tick or not tick "include in random list" Don't like the
sound of this. I am a serious Martian. I don't leave things to chance.

What next?
under the
settings for the account point to that file for your signature and voilà
your sig will be inserted automatically in the correct format when you
write your next message....

Voilà eh? You assume I have an average intelligence at least...
Thank you. You poor poor naive thing you! Sweet really but...
hang on a mo... ah yes, maybe this will work now. See if it
happens without me having to quit and restart OE... Christ, it
is weird to not see it here and trust it! What if it decides to
automatically say whatever it bloody well wants about me in the
sig space. It will be Voilà alright then eh? Honestly, you don't
know how clever and devious this machine can be. I have to watch
its every move... Well? Is it showing up? Of course, you can't
say till I send it eh?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Well, what can I do but get a better newsreader?

Just don't "sign" it. It's not like we wouldn't know who it's from.
I can get one
easily by using my spanking new fancy pants machine with OS X on
it but I have not had time, Mark Parnell has been putting the
boot into me and I have been busy removing frames from one of my
sites, it is a big job and I have 1 big section done and another
on the way. And I am delaying another job. I have all my set up
on my trusty old OS 9 machine. Let me see if I can reduce the
line. I would not in the slightest way want to offend you 2Dogs,
you are the only one who talks to me these days and the only one
I feel I can offend with total impunity...

I'm honored. I think...
You should be grateful that I go to some trouble to wrap my
messages to make them look as beautiful as possible. I have no
idea about extra lines not here when I send...

dorayme (with just one space above this and 0 below)

Yeah, that ain't bad. I still get 2 lf's below but that probably isn't
your fault.

dorayme

--
dorayme

and save as something like 'sig.txt', in both OE or Moz under the
settings for the account point to that file for your signature and voilà
your sig will be inserted automatically in the correct format when you
write your next message....

Ok It now remembers to do this. And simply inserts a bit of text
with the two -s. So, I could have just typed the same at the
end? OK, I understand that it would be useful if I had a whole
lot of things to say in this signature... but I already say
far too much! When you see /my sig/, it should be a /relief/, a
sign of the /end/ of the raving.... People read me just for the
pleasure of getting to the end. Do you honestly think I would be
so cruel as to disappoint them by making a proper and full use
of this fancy pants facility? I now see that Boji and you have
been setting me a trap...

:)

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:

Oops... don't panic, I have just made a little sticky note to remind me to
only ever cut and paste your name in future, <command
v>Jonathan</command>...

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Who's panicking? I had my 'winky smiley' up! I do
remember /someone/ jumping on another for capitalizing their sig...

Andy Dingley

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Who's panicking? I had my 'winky smiley' up!

Although it's generally accepted that 10% of Usenet posters are naked,
please don't remind us so directly.

dorayme

From: "Jonathan N. Little said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Who's panicking? I had my 'winky smiley' up! I do
remember /someone/ jumping on another for capitalizing their sig...

Don't :) worry :) Jonathan :) - ok, I know you are NOT worried
either :) - I :) did :) not :) think :) you :) were :) /really/
:) panicking. :)

I can't do it. I have tried a few times but it does not suit me
to use :) seriously. I have sprinkled a few above. In general, I
prefer to have constant misunderstandings... Can you imagine a
world in which everyone always understood everyone else?

(Just btw, are you sure you have not made a mistake in the
spelling of your name? How do you actually know? What about a
url with a good scan of the birth certificate?)

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
Don't :) worry :) Jonathan :) - ok, I know you are NOT worried
either :) - I :) did :) not :) think :) you :) were :) /really/
:) panicking. :)

Gotcha! Actually Andy had the best 'bah-da-bing bah-dah-boom!' off my
comment. Sometimes when you type 'em you don't see all the possible
'interpretations' of your text....ah well