Explanation?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Design-Crowd, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Design-Crowd

    Design-Crowd Guest

    Hi guys can anypone explain this statement to me?

    > It seems that links on the site are
    > getting a ?SID=xxx placed on them. Removing these from being listed
    > will help the search engines hit your site better.

    Thanks in advance

    JohnT (admin)
    www.designcrowd.com
    Freelancers Freedom From Fees

    Design-Crowd, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Design-Crowd

    rf Guest

    "Design-Crowd" <> wrote

    > Hi guys can anypone explain this statement to me?
    >
    > > It seems that links on the site are
    > > getting a ?SID=xxx placed on them. Removing these from being listed
    > > will help the search engines hit your site better.

    &SID=xxx indicates that the targeted page is being generated (maybe) by a
    server side process and therefore is a dynamic page.

    Some search engines don't index dynamic pages.

    SID also looks suspiciously like some server side script is using URL
    variables instead of session cookies. SID usually means session id.

    If this is so then it is a user problem. Instruct the user to allow session
    cookies.

    You are the "design crowd" and you don't know this? Oh my...

    rf, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Design-Crowd

    Design-Crowd Guest

    Thanks for the info rf
    Not sure of your 'oh my god' comment though

    I am a graphic designer and I run this site purely voluntary for the benefit
    of the freelancers. Started out just a few but is growning rapidly to the
    present 650 members. I am not a programmer nor do I understand any back end
    work. Just asked for some information here thats all.

    hope this helps
    --
    Regards

    Design-Crowd, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Design-Crowd

    rf Guest

    "Design-Crowd" <> wrote

    Please learn how to post. Corrected this time only.

    > Thanks for the info rf

    Welcome.

    > > You are the "design crowd" and you don't know this? Oh my...

    > Not sure of your 'oh my god' comment though
    > I am a graphic designer and I run this site purely voluntary for the

    benefit
    > of the freelancers. Started out just a few but is growning rapidly to the
    > present 650 members. I am not a programmer nor do I understand any back

    end
    > work. Just asked for some information here thats all.

    My apoligies. I have seen you here from time to time and assumed you were a
    consortium of designers :)

    Hmmm. Perhaps I should look into your stuff.

    <looks/>

    Ouch. Boilerplate blog with the standard *microscopic* font.

    Why dont you simply leave the font size up to me? Oddly (as against the
    million other similar sites out there) when I put the font size back to my
    100% (like I like to read it at) your site is still quite usable.

    Why do you so called dresizners cronically continue to ignore the users
    preferances?

    <checks with IE>

    You have even specified the font size in pixels, or points, so IE users
    can't resize the text without exercising their accessibility options to
    ignore your font size.

    How bloody stupid.

    I am out of here, never to return, unless you fix this right now!

    rf, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Design-Crowd

    Richard Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:33:57 GMT rf wrote:

    > "Design-Crowd" <> wrote

    >> Hi guys can anypone explain this statement to me?

    >> > It seems that links on the site are
    >> > getting a ?SID=xxx placed on them. Removing these from being

    >> listed
    >> > will help the search engines hit your site better.

    > &SID=xxx indicates that the targeted page is being generated (maybe) by
    > server side process and therefore is a dynamic page.

    > Some search engines don't index dynamic pages.

    > SID also looks suspiciously like some server side script is using URL
    > variables instead of session cookies. SID usually means session id.

    > If this is so then it is a user problem. Instruct the user to allow
    > session
    > cookies.

    > You are the "design crowd" and you don't know this? Oh my...

    There are many types of "designers" you stupid ignorant dipshit.

    Richard, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Design-Crowd

    Richard Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:02:03 GMT rf wrote:

    > "Design-Crowd" <> wrote

    > Please learn how to post. Corrected this time only.

    >> Thanks for the info rf

    > Welcome.

    >> > You are the "design crowd" and you don't know this? Oh my...

    >> Not sure of your 'oh my god' comment though
    >> I am a graphic designer and I run this site purely voluntary for the

    > benefit
    >> of the freelancers. Started out just a few but is growning rapidly to
    >> the
    >> present 650 members. I am not a programmer nor do I understand any
    >> back

    > end
    >> work. Just asked for some information here thats all.

    > My apoligies. I have seen you here from time to time and assumed you
    > were a
    > consortium of designers :)

    > Hmmm. Perhaps I should look into your stuff.

    > <looks/>

    > Ouch. Boilerplate blog with the standard *microscopic* font.

    > Why dont you simply leave the font size up to me? Oddly (as against the
    > million other similar sites out there) when I put the font size back to
    > my
    > 100% (like I like to read it at) your site is still quite usable.

    > Why do you so called dresizners cronically continue to ignore the users
    > preferances?

    > <checks with IE>

    > You have even specified the font size in pixels, or points, so IE users
    > can't resize the text without exercising their accessibility options to
    > ignore your font size.

    > How bloody stupid.

    > I am out of here, never to return, unless you fix this right now!

    Many sites do not incorporate font size probably because the author does not
    know that font size can be changed.
    So not being specified, the font size defaults to the smallest available.
    Which means the user has to increase manually in order to read the site.
    Whille 10pt fonts may be applicable to the print media, I generally prefer a
    12pt or 14pt font, usually arial, which is more user friendly and easily
    read.

    Richard, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Design-Crowd

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >Many sites do not incorporate font size probably because the author does not
    >know that font size can be changed.

    No, many sites _do_ incorporate font sizes precisely because the
    author does not know that the font size can be changed. They see the
    text in _their_ browser and think that it's too big, so they make it
    smaller in their code instead of in their browser settings. Hence
    making it too small for people who have their browser set up properly.

    >So not being specified, the font size defaults to the smallest available.

    Total rubbish. If no font size is specified then it defaults to
    whatever the user's default is. Which would very rarely be the
    smallest available. Go to a page that doesn't specify font size (such
    as my home page) and see if you can make it smaller (CTL+- in FF,
    View>Text Size>Smaller in IE) I bet that you can.

    >Which means the user has to increase manually in order to read the site.

    Usually because the author has set it too small, not because the
    author hasn't set it.

    If the user's browser has a default size that is too small for them
    then they should change the default.

    >Whille 10pt fonts may be applicable to the print media, I generally prefer a
    >12pt or 14pt font, usually arial, which is more user friendly and easily
    >read.

    Then set that in your browser configuration or user stylesheet.
    Personally I would find 12pt or 14pt too large (12pt = 16px with the
    standard settings on Windows and is the factory default), I use 14px
    (10.5pt to you) as a default in Opera with an enforced minimum of 12px
    (9pt).

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 12, 2005