explorer like menu

Radharadya dasa

hari,

i need to make an explorer like menu witch i could controll by keyboard.
i mean to go up and down with arrows, open subfolders and close, etc.
how could i strat?

rrd

kaeli

hari,

i need to make an explorer like menu witch i could controll by keyboard.
i mean to go up and down with arrows, open subfolders and close, etc.
how could i strat?

For what browser(s)?

Hywel Jenkins

hari,

i need to make an explorer like menu witch i could controll by keyboard.
i mean to go up and down with arrows, open subfolders and close, etc.
how could i strat?

http://software.xfx.net/ - now has keyboard navigation, though I don't
know how widely supported that aspect of the menu it creates is.

Fabian

Hywel Jenkins hu kiteb:
http://software.xfx.net/ - now has keyboard navigation, though I don't
know how widely supported that aspect of the menu it creates is.

From their website:

---
This feature is compatible with the following browsers:
Internet Explorer 5, 5.5 and 6.0 (Windows)
Internet Explorer 5 (Mac)
All Mozilla-based browsers (Windows, Mac and Linux)
Opera 7 (Windows)
---

I think they mispelt incompatible. It doesn't work consistently on their
demo page with IE6. If you try to enable their keyboard support while
the menu is scrolled off the top, nothing special happens. And pressing
control to toggle the keyboard is non-intuitive. But I guess that kind
of
script can be adapted.

Downloading their js file, I note it has been obfuscated. This group
seems to have strong opinions of the effectiveness of obfuscation :) In
any case, I know there are completely free (as in cash) scripts that do
more or less the same thing, albeit minus keyboard support.

Hywel Jenkins

Hywel Jenkins hu kiteb:

Downloading their js file, I note it has been obfuscated. This group
seems to have strong opinions of the effectiveness of obfuscation :)

The code isn't obsfuscated for "copy protection", it's compressed. The
application offers several levels of compression, the lowest level
turning out pure, readable, nicely indented scripting.

Radharadya dasa

Hywel said:
The code isn't obsfuscated for "copy protection", it's compressed. The
application offers several levels of compression, the lowest level
turning out pure, readable, nicely indented scripting.
thank you very much

kaeli

kaeli hu kiteb:

Why, explorer of course :)

I believe Joust (do a search for it) does this, but it is no longer
actively maintained.

Well, I looked at what I could find (joust is a rather common word), but
it seems to me that it is just regular DHTML and I didn't find a way to
navigate with the keyboard.

If you just want a nice DHTML menu, they have quite a few at
http://www.dynamicdrive.com, including the kind that have the little
folder icons, IIRC.

Otherwise, I'd use Flash or an applet for an internet app (assuming I am
relatively confident my users have these plugins) or use WSH (with a
custom built context menu) for an intranet or CD app.