Export of environment variables

Yevgen Reznichenko

Hello,

i am new here and perl is new for me too. I try to make my first small
program in perl, it should display me how many new mails are in my
mailbox. Only the number of _new_(number of mails now - number of mails
before) emails should be displayed. For this case i want to create a
environment variable and export it. I know that must be very simple, but
i can't find anything in the web. I know how can i get an existent
variable, but i don't know how can i export the new value of this, after
the changes was made. Additionally i don't know how i can create a new one.

Regards,

Yevgen

Malcolm Dew-Jones

Tad McClellan ([email protected]) wrote:

: For this case i want to create a
: > environment variable and export it.

: If I understand you correctly, you cannot do that on any sensible
: operating system.

Sure you can, just not on unix like systems.

VMS is a very sensible system that comes to mind. Various ways for a
child to set things into the parent's "environment", though the term
environment does not translate directly. Global variables and job
logicals are the two that spring to mind.