Export to Excel in BIFF format

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ggupta78@gmail.com, Nov 10, 2006.

    Currently in our application we use the MHTML way of exporting to Excel
    i.e we render the datagrid HTML and set the MIME type to Excel.
    This works great but has the following limitation:
    1. File size is extremely large in some cases
    2. Our clients using older versions of Excel or OpenOffice 2.0 cannot
    open these files.

    So, we would want to export to excel using the BIFF format. But from
    what i have understood after googling for BIFF is that:
    * Microsoft has just provided documentation on this format, but there
    are no API's in the .Net framework that would help us to save data in
    the BIFF format.
    * We would either have to do Excel automation using COM interop, which
    is generally not recommended, or use a pure .net third party component
    to create excel files in the BIFF format.
    Also hav'nt found any free third party components so far, we would have
    to purchase one.

    So basically i need to know if there is any easier way of exporting to
    excel in BIFF format? or if there are any free components/libraries
    available?
    Would be grateful if any one who has solved this kind of an issue
    before can point us in the right direction.

    TIA,
    Gautam

    , Nov 10, 2006

  2. See www.connectionstrings.com

    The extended property can be set to "Excel 8.0"
    Then you can use the oledb provider to create an xls using Create Table
    statements and such.
    We use it, it's super.
    Wonder how we'll be able to embed formulas this way, i don't know.
    You can do the same for csv but you can make csv 'manually' as well and old
    excel could reado those as well.

    <> schreef in bericht

    Edwin Knoppert, Nov 10, 2006

    Hi Edwin,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I have understood a little of what you meant. Basically i have seen
    code that can treat an excel file as a datasource and read data using
    the OleDb connection. So similarly i guess what you are saying is that
    we can create a table in excel and populate it with data.

    But it would be great if you can give me some sample code.

    Also, I guess its not possible to introduce certain formatting
    attributes like font size, weight or colors using this method, right?
    since we would like to set formatting as well.

    thanks,
    gautam

    , Nov 10, 2006
  4. For reading i have:

    http://www.hellobasic.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=dotnet;action=display;num=1133003929

    For creating and such not at this time, maybe later.. ever.

    I learn about everything from here:
    http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_create.asp

    <> schreef in bericht

    Edwin Knoppert, Nov 10, 2006