Export to EXCEL / WORD - Interoperability Setup Problem

Pradnya Patil

Hi ,
I need to export some of the reports to MS EXCEL & MS WORD
in a WEB

APPLICATION.I also need to LOCK some of the Columns in
EXCEL-sheet.Right now I need to

run the Interoperability setup on the machine where the software will
run.The machine

also needs to have MS OFFICE 2003 installed.The setup fails for any
lower MS OFFICE

version.
Following entry gets created in WEB.CONFIG - <assembly> tag,

<add assembly="Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word, Version=11.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"/>

I have few Questions regarding this:

<1> When I tried to run setup of my WEB APPLICATION on a machine which
doesn't have
..NET framewrok installed,the Interoperability setup was successful..but
though OFFICE

2003 was installed there , 'EXPORT TO EXCEL' functionality of my WEB
application is

not working ...Why is it so ? Do I need to install .NET framework there
?

<2> I guess when u run Interoperability setup ,the dll gets registered
in GAC..Is it

possible to have a private assembly (dll) which I can simply put in the
'BIN' folder ?
So that I dont have to run that setup.And I should be able to create
EXCEL- sheet & WORD

object..and format it as per my requirements...

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards....
.... Pradnya Patil

Mark Rae

Why is it so?

Because it's not designed to work this way... Microsoft strongly advises
against any server-side automation of Office, and won't actually support any
application which uses it...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2
Any help will be appreciated

1) Create the Office documents in their XML format:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en

2) Use Aspose:
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Cells/Default.aspx
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words/Default.aspx