export to excel

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Andre, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Andre

    Andre Guest

    I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post or not, but I can't
    find many asp newsgroups anymore.

    I have an app that's 3-4 years old, and has been working just fine. One of
    the pages exports the html to Excel. My users just upgraded from
    Office97/2000 to Office XP/2003, and now the export to Excel isn't working
    for them.

    This is the code that I use, and from what I find around the Internet, it's
    all I need. Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be causing this
    to not work in Office XP/2003? It still works just fine on Office 2000.
    Could it be a security setting in the newer version of Office?

    Response.Buffer = True
    Response.Charset = ""
    EnableViewState = false

    Thanks, Andre

    Andre, Oct 11, 2004

  2. What is "not working for them" mean? Do they get a file prompt at least? I
    have several reports in the similar way, but I haven't seen any difference
    upgrading to Office 2003.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    Manohar Kamath, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Andre

    Andre Guest

    They get 1 of 2 different dialog boxes.

    - One says "Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file 'my url here...'.
    There are several possible reasons:
    - The file name or path does not exist.
    - The file is being used by another program.
    - The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently
    open workbook.

    - The other says "IE cannot download excel_report.asp from 'my url...'. IE
    was not able to open the Internet site. The requested site is either
    unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

    Does this tell you anything?

    Andre

    Andre, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Andre

    Mark Schupp Guest

    see if this helps:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=#

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Andre

    Andre Guest

    Unfortunately, it didn't. I removed the "cache" instances from the code and
    the export still works great for me on Office 2k. My user on XP still isn't
    able to get it to work. She's also telling me that if she exports just a
    few thousand records, it will work. But the one we're working on now is 12k
    records. Like I said, it works great still on a desktop with Office 2k.

    Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

    Thanks, Andre

    Andre, Oct 14, 2004