Exportability of EDA industry from North America?

Spehro Pefhany

Sure, as a customer thousands of miles away you may not know for sure.
But there is one telltale sign that pops up when you have a tough
question. That will often require the original programmer or designer to
answer. Accents are really hard to hide. Like with a graphics card
manufacturer in Canada. When I got answers such as 'that's aboot right'
or I heard 'Bonjour' I somehow knew it's got to be Canada ;-)

Regards, Joerg

ATI and Matrox don't pretend to be headquartered anywhere else do
they?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Robert Baer

Joerg said:
Hello Spehro,

Sure, as a customer thousands of miles away you may not know for sure.
But there is one telltale sign that pops up when you have a tough
question. That will often require the original programmer or designer to
answer. Accents are really hard to hide. Like with a graphics card
manufacturer in Canada. When I got answers such as 'that's aboot right'
or I heard 'Bonjour' I somehow knew it's got to be Canada ;-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

France??

Robert Baer

Gary J. Tait said:
No Canada, where ATI and Matrox hail from.

I understood that.
However, when one hears French over the phone on such a call, it is
possible that the help desk could also be in France...or in parts of
Africa (theoretically).

Spehro Pefhany

I understood that.
However, when one hears French over the phone on such a call, it is
possible that the help desk could also be in France...or in parts of
Africa (theoretically).

If you're getting lousy service, perhaps it's in Vientiane.

Tobias Weingartner

I understood that.
However, when one hears French over the phone on such a call, it is
possible that the help desk could also be in France...or in parts of
Africa (theoretically).

And no US citizens speak french, and happen to work at a call centre
in the states? In today's world, it helps not to have any notions about
where you are getting service from. Wheater state, or country, or even
company.