Exporting data from ram

Reaction score
I have zero clue on writing bits onto a RAM (assuming the code is synthesizable). I'm talking about the physical RAM on the FPGA (let's start with a Spartan 3E).

My concern is what do I have to do to allow the writing of bits on a few addresses in the RAM, reading from these addresses into the computer (save as text file, for example), writing again on the next few, reading again from these next few, and then clear everything in the RAM so that I can repeat this mundane process? The previous set of bits would have been saved in the computer, with the next sets concatenated to it in the same file.

Bear in mind I would no longer be at simulation level at this stage.

So I have a file called bit_generator.vhd uploaded onto the board. Will I require another file that will drive the RAM processing?

Any clues/hints?

There is no stupid question! :oops:

Reaction score
Hmm, no help?

After much digging around, I need to interface with a microcontroller on the FPGA to write to RAM (DRAM I presume?).

And then, another way to transmit these stored data in the RAM to the PC.

Question is, can interfacing of this nature be done in VHDL?

Reaction score
This code give you a FIFO buffer which based at an external DRAM - pretty much what you need. Hopefully will you find inspiration as well.

jjmk.dk/MMMI/Lessons/07_Memory/No6_FIFObuffers/Ext_RAM_based/index.htm

Copy link to the browser.

Ask a Question