Exporting to Excel using CSS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Matt, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I have code that generates a dataset and sends the results to the user
    and automatically opens Excel when the link is clicked. It works fine on
    my own machine and one server but I get the following error on another
    server:

    Problems cam up in the following areas during load: Missing file
    http://abc.com/app/mystylesheet.css

    The style sheet is present on the website so it isn't missing. It's some
    kind of permission problem but I don't know what. The working server
    appears configured the same as the non-working server in IIS.

    Here's a basic idea of how I'm sending the data to the user:

    1) set response.contenttype = "application/vnd.ms-excel"
    2) create stringwriter and htmltextwriter objects
    3) write the HTML HEAD information (including the LINK to the
    stylesheet) to the htmltextwriter object
    4) write a BODY tag to the htmltextwriter
    5) fill a datagrid with the query results
    6) render the datagrid to the htmltextwriter
    7) end the BODY and HTML tags in the htmltexwriter
    8) reponse.write the stringwriter and do a response.end

    Matt, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Matt

    Matt Guest

    It turns out that the problem is easy to recreate. If I save the file as
    HTML to the server then try to open the file using Excel the same thing
    happens. This is basically what is happening when I do the response.end and
    send the file to the user. The LINK statement in the code tries to open the
    CSS file but it can't find it.

    Still not sure what I can do about it though.

    Matt, Jan 12, 2004