Express versions vs. ASP.net...shared classes?

darrel

From my understanding the main difference between VS.net 05 and Visual Web
Dev Express (or whatever it's called) is that the express versions do not
compile code.

As such, if I use the express editions, can I no longer access functions in
custom .vb files like I often do with VS '03?

-Darrel

Juan T. Llibre

You are laboring under a mistaken assumtion.

What VWD doesn't do is *pre-compile* web apps, like VS 2005 does.
In other words, there's no "Publish Website" feature in VWD.

If you take a look at this image of the VWD IDE, you'll notice that you can place your *.vb
class files in the App_Code directory, and the .Net Framework *will* compile them for you :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/images/express/features/vwd_ide.gif

If you want to compile your *.vb or *.cs classes to a named dll,
to place in the bin directory, you can use the command-line compilers.

In sum, you *can* access functions in custom .vb or .cs files with VWD.

Teemu Keiski

To put it simply what Juan just said, ((ASP).NET) code will not run before
it is compiled, despite do you have inline or code-behind model, or do you
place classes into App_Code or Bin (as redistributable component). E.g in
..NET, there is no such thing like in classic ASP it was, that code is not
compiled. It is always compiled in .NET, always.