Expression Web & XAML

GaryDean

I downloaded Expression Web and expected it to have functionality for WPF or
at least WPF/e but it is all about HTML.

What am I missing?

Mark Fitzpatrick

Expression web and SharePoint Designer are successors to FrontPage. EW
especially is designed to be a more standards compliant design tool than FP
was and has a similar role to fill. It's essentially another WYSIWYG editor,
but it is a leap ahead of anything MS has put out before and definitely a
fantastic program to use in concert with VS.Net since it's the only other
design layout tool that supports Master Pages. It's also a darned sight
easier to use and get good layouts from than VS's designer ever was.

A lot of people have been confused over what Expression Web does simply
because there are actually 4 Expression products and the featureset has
gotten somewhat muddled between them. Expression Blend
(http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/default.mspx), which is
still in beta, will be the product you want. It will be good at designing
WPF interfaces, but right now isn't of much use for the web as it would
require users to have WPF/E installed, which hasn't been finished yet. I
wouldn't use it for web design for a while as we'll need to have WPF/E
adoption rates to be decent before it can be used without too much pain.