Extend distutils bdist_rpm to support %config?

bwooster47

Is there any way to get the functionality of the %config RPM directive
using python distutils?

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-files-list-directives.html

%config /etc/foonly

This will save the current file as fooonly.rpmsave if the file is
different from the one in the package, so users can prevent their
changes from being lost.

I looked at the distutils/command/bdist_rpm.py, it supports creation
of the %files keyword, but I did not see anything about %config,
presumably because distutils does not support that "config file
install" concept of RPM? Is there any other way to get this done using
distutils, for a setup.py that installs a python script (not a module)?