Extending other languages with Ruby

Mark Chandler

Hello,

I have recently been trying to figure out how to extend another language
by using Ruby as a scripting language. I have found a bit of information
on how to do this, but it is mostly just bland explanations and, seeing
as I am a visual learner, I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how
to correctly implement something like this without code examples or
something like that. Does anyone have a link to a better explanation? It
would be nice if the extended language explanation were C++ or C# or
something like that.

Thanks!

Mark Volkmann

Hello,

I have recently been trying to figure out how to extend another
language
by using Ruby as a scripting language. I have found a bit of
information
on how to do this, but it is mostly just bland explanations and,
seeing
as I am a visual learner, I am having a lot of trouble figuring out
how
to correctly implement something like this without code examples or
something like that. Does anyone have a link to a better
explanation? It
would be nice if the extended language explanation were C++ or C# or
something like that.

I have two slide presentations on this, one on extending Java with
Ruby (JRuby) and one on extending C/C++ with Ruby. Both are at http://
www.ociweb.com/mark.

Mark Chandler

Mark said:
I have two slide presentations on this, one on extending Java with
Ruby (JRuby) and one on extending C/C++ with Ruby. Both are at http://
www.ociweb.com/mark.

Those are very awesome, and I appreciate that you shared them with me.
They've definitely helped me quite a bit, but now all I am left
wondering is if/how I can do the same using C# (Mono, preferably). Any
more information would be extremely useful!

Thanks!

Mark Chandler

Mark said:
I have two slide presentations on this, one on extending Java with
Ruby (JRuby) and one on extending C/C++ with Ruby. Both are at http://
www.ociweb.com/mark.

I went ahead and decided to play around with embedding Ruby in a C
program, but now I am receiving this:

lynxy:~/src/Ruby/Embed/Testing markchandler$ cc main.c
-I/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.9.1/
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_rb_load_file
_ruby_init
_ruby_run