extensive book on "non-web" client / server technologies in Java ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by antoine, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. antoine

    antoine Guest

    hello,

    I am looking for a good book to learn about Java client/server
    technologies.

    I am planning development of a client/server trading system, so that's
    absolutely nothing related to JSP or WEB, nor Databases. I might not
    even need CORBA, as all should be in Java on both sides (2-tier app).

    The idea would be more to have the server process mathematical
    computation in relation with the market, while the clients would only
    handle graphic tasks (display of info, generation of events forwarded
    to the client).

    I'm currently considering my options to achieve such system, thinking
    of using simple TCP socket connections with custom message protocol, or
    RMI, but my knowledge of the whole field being poor, I'd like to get a
    better understanding of all that before making my decision. I've been
    developping in java for the past 4 years, but have no experience in so
    called "enterprise" java.

    would anyone have a recommendation for a book on this subject ?
    so far I've found "server based java programming" (Ted Neward / Manning
    publications, 2000) on Amazon, any other idea ?
    thanks for your precious help

    Antoine
    antoine, Jan 20, 2005

  2. antoine

    Guest

    Check out O'Reilly's Java Network Programming. I am surprised that you
    don't need a database - I would think definitely at some point you will
    need to access one.
    And by the way don't forget the the "KISS principle" :)
    , Jan 20, 2005