Extensive Web Charting

GW

Hello,

I am in the process of learning .net 2.0 / 3.0 c# using Visual Studio
2005. My machine has the .NET 3.0 framework installed.

I have about 10 - 15 different tables, all requiring various bar charts
and graphs - I am wondering if I should be attempting such a feat by
hand, OR if I should download some type of component / plug in which has
wizards etc (I am currently looking at www.dotnetcharting.com .

I see Visual Studio has Crystal Reports built in (I am using enterprise
version I believe)...does Crystal Reports have these charting features
built in?

Any tips or advice will be taken on board. Just for the record, I did
manage to do one chart yesterday by hand, and it works, but it was a
complete nightmare.

What i did:

First of all I created two data readers. The first gave me a TOTAL
count. The second gave me three groups of records, which if combined,
would = TOTAL.

I then did a calculation on each group of records:
group / total * 100 = PERCENTAGE of total.

Lastly, I created a table and each row was given a different background
colour and the width was set to PERCENTAGE.

Anyway needless to say, it took me ages and I do not want to go through
that process again.

Cheers,

Gary.

Mr. SweatyFinger

The Microsoft office Excel web components do it all -- for easy and for
free!!!
skip ahead there.

GW

Mr. SweatyFinger said:
The Microsoft office Excel web components do it all -- for easy and for
free!!!
skip ahead there.

Does this require an office license on the server where my charts will
be accsessed? If so, free = £££ :)

Gary.

Eliyahu Goldin

If you mean the OWC, it doesn't require any license as long as you don't do
any user interaction. If all you need to do is to produce a chart bitmap and
stream it down to the client, it is fine.

Steve B.

take a look at builtin report component (ReportViewer) and rdlc files...
It's quite powerfull and can be databound to any dataset

Steve