EXTERN.h not found

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by RMG, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. RMG

    RMG Guest

    hi all ive been trying to compile a couple of programs lately and they all
    fail with the line below saying they cant find EXTERN.h. At first I though
    it was a programmatic error but when i saw it a couple of times in
    different programs i now hthink its a perl config error

    has anyopne seen someting like this before?

    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49/perl-piped'
    test -r perl-shared/Makefile.PL.in \
    || ln -s ./perl-shared/Makefile.PL.in perl-shared/Makefile.PL.in
    test -r perl-shared/RRDs.pm \
    || ln -s ./perl-shared/RRDs.pm perl-shared/RRDs.pm
    test -r perl-shared/RRDs.xs \
    || ln -s ./perl-shared/RRDs.xs perl-shared/RRDs.xs
    cd perl-shared && make
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49/perl-shared'
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target
    `/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/EXTERN.h', needed by
    `RRDs.o'. Stop. make[3]: Leaving directory
    `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49/perl-shared' make[2]: *** [perl_shared] Error
    2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49' make[1]: ***
    [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49' make: *** [all]
    Error 2
    [ronan@a9015 rrdtool-1.0.49]$ ls /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386*/CORE config.h
    libperl.so* perl.h
    [ronan@a9015 rrdtool-1.0.49]$

    my sys is P4 mandrake 10.1 the kernel is smp becuase of the P4's HT tech.

    thanks
    ronan

    RMG, Jan 21, 2005

  2. RMG wrote:

    > hi all ive been trying to compile a couple of programs lately and they all
    > fail with the line below saying they cant find EXTERN.h. At first I though
    > it was a programmatic error but when i saw it a couple of times in
    > different programs i now hthink its a perl config error
    >
    > has anyopne seen someting like this before?

    I *think* I recall seeing something like that on Mandrake, although it's
    been a while. If I remember right, some (but not all) of the Perl headers
    were in a separate package, perl-dev or something like that.

    Use your package manager (packagedrake?) to see what perl* packages are
    available on your install CDs.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jan 21, 2005