EXTERN.h not found

RMG

hi all ive been trying to compile a couple of programs lately and they all
fail with the line below saying they cant find EXTERN.h. At first I though
it was a programmatic error but when i saw it a couple of times in
different programs i now hthink its a perl config error

has anyopne seen someting like this before?

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49/perl-piped'
test -r perl-shared/Makefile.PL.in \
|| ln -s ./perl-shared/Makefile.PL.in perl-shared/Makefile.PL.in
test -r perl-shared/RRDs.pm \
|| ln -s ./perl-shared/RRDs.pm perl-shared/RRDs.pm
test -r perl-shared/RRDs.xs \
|| ln -s ./perl-shared/RRDs.xs perl-shared/RRDs.xs
cd perl-shared && make
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49/perl-shared'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/EXTERN.h', needed by
`RRDs.o'. Stop. make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49/perl-shared' make[2]: *** [perl_shared] Error
2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49' make[1]: ***
[all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ronan/rrdtool-1.0.49' make: *** [all]
Error 2
[ronan@a9015 rrdtool-1.0.49]$ ls /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386*/CORE config.h
libperl.so* perl.h
[ronan@a9015 rrdtool-1.0.49]$

my sys is P4 mandrake 10.1 the kernel is smp becuase of the P4's HT tech.

thanks
ronan

Sherm Pendley

RMG said:
hi all ive been trying to compile a couple of programs lately and they all
fail with the line below saying they cant find EXTERN.h. At first I though
it was a programmatic error but when i saw it a couple of times in
different programs i now hthink its a perl config error

has anyopne seen someting like this before?

I *think* I recall seeing something like that on Mandrake, although it's
been a while. If I remember right, some (but not all) of the Perl headers
were in a separate package, perl-dev or something like that.

Use your package manager (packagedrake?) to see what perl* packages are
available on your install CDs.

sherm--