External component has thrown an exception

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?U1RlY2g=?=, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. 1) We did an xcopy of our latest production build to our windows 2003 prod
    server and started getting the exception below. Recycling the application on
    the webserver seemed to have fixed the problem. Any ideas on why we got this
    error?

    Message: System.Web.HttpException: External component has thrown an
    exception. ---> System.Web.HttpCompileException: External component has
    thrown an exception.
    at
    System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.ThrowIfCompilerErrors(CompilerResults
    results, CodeDomProvider codeProvider, CodeCompileUnit sourceData, String
    sourceFile, String sourceString)
    at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledType()
    at System.Web.UI.PageParser.CompileIntoType()
    at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemThroughCompilation()
    at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean
    fCreateIfNotFound)
    at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem()
    at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetParserCacheItem(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context,
    String requestType, String url, String path)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)
    at
    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()

    2) We also got a different error on one of the pages:

    CS1595 'XXX' is defined in multiple places: using definition from
    "C:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.net......"

    which also got "fixed" after recycling the application.

    Thanks!
    =?Utf-8?B?U1RlY2g=?=, Mar 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U1RlY2g=?=

    Scott Allen Guest

    Other than saying there was a compile error in your ASPX page it hard
    to tell. Did it show you the code generated for the ASPX page?

    If this is an intermittent problem that comes and goes i'd be very
    concerned.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Mar 14, 2005

  3. It sounds like the running application forgot to recycle once new files were
    copied over the old ones. I've seen this happen before but I have no idea
    what causes it.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgU2ltb25z?=, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Thanks for Both Scotts' suggestions.

    Hi Stech,

    Regarding on the symptom you described, I've searched for some former
    issues which has the similiar problems. And one possbile cause is that when
    we use xcopy to update (or deploy) web application's components( assemblies
    in private bin folder), the old ones be replaced which cause the asp.net
    application be restarted. Also, at the same time, the asp.net will request
    the new assemblies so as to compile new dynamic components. However, if the
    updated assemlies's count are huge, it may take some times to finish which
    cause the components assemlies be locked by some external process such as
    xcopy.exe. Then, some unexpected exceptions occurs.

    Will the problems occur again if you have restart your IIS (also clear the
    ASP.NET temporary dir)? Also, you can test by do the xcopy work repeatedly
    to see whether the problems always occur when we do xcopy, if so, the
    problems is likely caused by the one I mentioned above.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security