external entities, browsers, images

Discussion in 'XML' started by shawn modersohn, May 7, 2005.

  1. I got,

    <!-- Insert GPL copyright notice here -->
    <!-- <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="exhibits.css"?> -->
    <!DOCTYPE exhibits PUBLIC "-//ShawnModersohn.//DTD
    graphicalOpenExchange//EN" "exhibits.dtd">
    <!-- Begin exhibit entity declarations -->
    <exhibits>
    &template;
    </exhibits>

    exhibits.dtd pulls in parts from an exhibit.dtd. &template is declared
    in exhibits.dtd and represents many individual files describing images.

    Seeing text output claiming validity is not as satisfying as seeing all
    the documents pulled together and displayed in a browser. This will
    primarily be a web application front end so I imagine I will go through
    an XSL process eventually. But in the meantime, are there any browsers
    or projects that display external entities as I am using them.

    Also, I am using the html namespace to force the display of the gifs,
    pngs, etc. (which works as long as there are no external entities
    imported into the document) Is there a better way? Thanks for any help.
    shawn modersohn, May 7, 2005

  2. "shawn modersohn" <> wrote in message
    >I got,

    > <!-- Insert GPL copyright notice here -->
    > <!-- <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="exhibits.css"?> -->
    > <!DOCTYPE exhibits PUBLIC "-//ShawnModersohn.//DTD
    > graphicalOpenExchange//EN" "exhibits.dtd">
    > <!-- Begin exhibit entity declarations -->
    > <exhibits>
    > &template;
    > </exhibits>
    >
    > exhibits.dtd pulls in parts from an exhibit.dtd. &template is declared in
    > exhibits.dtd and represents many individual files describing images.
    >
    > Seeing text output claiming validity is not as satisfying as seeing all
    > the documents pulled together and displayed in a browser. This will
    > primarily be a web application front end so I imagine I will go through an
    > XSL process eventually. But in the meantime, are there any browsers or
    > projects that display external entities as I am using them.
    >
    > Also, I am using the html namespace to force the display of the gifs,
    > pngs, etc. (which works as long as there are no external entities imported
    > into the document) Is there a better way? Thanks for any help.

    Well shit, I checked this out at a windows machine from work and I'll be
    damned if IE doesn't do exactly as I want. Sucks because I use Linux but
    nonetheless credit due to Microsoft on this one.

    So the question now is, does anyone know of any linux solutions to this
    problem?
    Shawn Modersohn, May 7, 2005

  3. In article <_I3fe.2577$>,
    "Shawn Modersohn" <> wrote:

    > So the question now is, does anyone know of any linux solutions to this
    > problem?

    Moving the processing (XML parsing & XSLT) to the server and sending the
    HTML output to the browser.

    --
    Henri Sivonen

    http://hsivonen.iki.fi/
    Henri Sivonen, May 7, 2005
  4. "Henri Sivonen" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_I3fe.2577$>,
    > "Shawn Modersohn" <> wrote:
    >
    >> So the question now is, does anyone know of any linux solutions to this
    >> problem?

    > Moving the processing (XML parsing & XSLT) to the server and sending the
    > HTML output to the browser.
    >
    > --
    > Henri Sivonen
    >
    > http://hsivonen.iki.fi/

    I haven't got quite that far, I was hoping for more of a client side
    solution. Might as well forge ahead though. Thanks.
    Shawn Modersohn, May 7, 2005