External file loading question

Periodically, the question arises about how to insert text from an external
source into a file. Typically this is common text has to be repeated
throughout a site (such as a menu I suppose. . .).

Typically, the answer is HTML pre-processor (which sounds like a fancy name
for a search-and-replace to me -- I'm guessing this is done before the files
are uploaded) or using some sort of server-side scripting.

Why not an I-frame? What is the big disadvantage of an i-frame compared to
the above techniques?

Ed Mullen

http://www.google.com/search?query=iframes evil&num=50

--