external html page include

Sam Ginko

I would like to include an external html page into a .rhtml document. I
know you can do it with iframes but that is not what I want. Does ruby
have an include tag for that?

7

7stud --

Sam said:
I would like to include an external html page into a .rhtml document. I
know you can do it with iframes but that is not what I want. Does ruby
have an include tag for that?

Who cares what ruby has? The generated page is html. If you can't do
it with the available html tags, e.g. frames or iframes, then ruby isn't
going to magically be able to help you.

It sounds like you are trying to get ruby to enter into a conspiracy
with you to steal content.

7

7stud --

Sam said:
I would like to include an external html page into a .rhtml document. I
know you can do it with iframes but that is not what I want. Does ruby
have an include tag for that?

On the other hand, if you are trying to incorporate some raw html into a
rhtml page, just read the file and output it:

<%= %> # executes the Ruby code and displays the result

Sam Ginko

How? with a File.Open()?. I'm new to ruby so I'm not sure if that is
what I should do.

7

7stud --

Sam said:
How? with a File.Open()?. I'm new to ruby so I'm not sure if that is
what I should do.

You could write:

f = File.open("page.htm")
f.read()

or you could combine that into one line:

File.open("page.htm").read()

or you could use the shortcut:

IO.read("page.htm")

Chris Rhoden

Didn't look closely enough at what's going on here.

What exactly are you trying to do? The previous response should work.

However, if you are actually requesting a page from something like Google
Docs, you need to realize that the request will be made at the server, not
in the browser, so your cookies will not be in the request, so you will not
be authenticated unless you explicitly do that. It is more trouble than it's
worth in most cases.

Additionally, unless you intend to alter the HTML in some way before
including it in the page, it will look all off, so probably best to stick
with iFrames unless it is absolutely necessary to scrape (which is what you
are doing)

-chris

You should use something like
require 'open-uri'