external imagemap

Discussion in 'HTML' started by joerg p, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. joerg p

    joerg p Guest

    hello,

    is there a possibilty to create an external imagemap?

    joerg
    joerg p, Oct 12, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. joerg p

    Els Guest

    joerg p wrote:

    > hello,


    Hi,

    > is there a possibilty to create an external imagemap?


    What is an external imagemap?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Squeeze - (This Could Be) The Last Time
    Els, Oct 12, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. joerg p

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html joerg p said:

    > hello,


    g'day

    > is there a possibilty to create an external imagemap?


    reliably you can do a server side imagemap but theres probably no
    support for external client side imagemaps, never done one to see what
    browser support is like but i suspect zero.

    there are usability/accessibility issues with imagemaps so you probably
    don't want to use one anyway

    --


    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 12, 2004
    #3
  4. joerg p

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Els said:

    > What is an external imagemap?


    where the map is in an external file pointed to by the usemap attribute
    rather than the map being in the same file as the image that uses it
    (like normal).

    --


    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 12, 2004
    #4
  5. joerg p

    Els Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > In alt.html Els said:
    >
    >> What is an external imagemap?

    >
    > where the map is in an external file pointed to by the
    > usemap attribute rather than the map being in the same file
    > as the image that uses it (like normal).


    Thanks :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Squeeze - Is That Love
    Els, Oct 12, 2004
    #5
  6. brucie <> wrote:

    > theres probably no
    > support for external client side imagemaps, never done one to see what
    > browser support is like but i suspect zero.


    Well, sufficiently close to zero. There's nothing in the specifications
    that prevents from writing <img .. usemap="foo.html#map">, but browsers
    haven't bothered implementing it. Implementation review:
    http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/imagemap/results
    (Paradoxically, some text-only browsers support external client-side
    imagemaps, graphic browsers don't.)

    > there are usability/accessibility issues with imagemaps so you probably
    > don't want to use one anyway


    Indeed. The crystal ball tells that the reason for asking that the OP
    wants to have a navigation bar on all pages, implemented as an image map.
    That's a bad idea even if we don't consider the problem that the map
    needs to be duplicated (which is really a small problem when e.g. SSI
    includes are available - the other problems are much more serious).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 12, 2004
    #6
  7. joerg p

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Jukka K. Korpela said:

    > (Paradoxically, some text-only browsers support external client-side
    > imagemaps, graphic browsers don't.)


    i don't know if i should laugh or cry


    --


    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 12, 2004
    #7
  8. brucie <> wrote:

    > In alt.html Jukka K. Korpela said:
    >
    >> (Paradoxically, some text-only browsers support external client-side
    >> imagemaps, graphic browsers don't.)

    >
    > i don't know if i should laugh or cry


    Try laughing. They say it's good for your health, so in borderline cases,
    laugh as a maniac.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 12, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ben Fidge

    Client-side imagemap editor?

    Ben Fidge, Oct 13, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    526
    Patrice
    Oct 13, 2004
  2. KatB
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    471
  3. Roy
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    600
  4. Alan Wang

    imageMap

    Alan Wang, Nov 23, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    510
    Alan Wang
    Nov 23, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZCBSb2NoZQ==?=

    ImageMap Coordinate Question

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZCBSb2NoZQ==?=, Dec 12, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    651
    =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZCBSb2NoZQ==?=
    Dec 13, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page