Extra Space in Cells

dancer

Using ASP.net 1.1 to create user input form.

When I put a RequiredFieldValidator I have extra space at the bottom of the
cell, as if I had put a <br>.
When I comment out the RequiredFieldValidator, the extra space goes away.
Don't want that extra space, but want the validator.

What can I do?

jufemaiz: jc

Using ASP.net 1.1 to create user input form.

When I put a RequiredFieldValidator I have extra space at the bottom of the
cell, as if I had put a <br>.
When I comment out the RequiredFieldValidator, the extra space goes away.
Don't want that extra space, but want the validator.

What can I do?

what does the client side source code show?

jufemaiz: jc

Sorry to be dumb, but what do you mean by "client side source code"?

the code that is seen on the client side (as in what the browser
shows)...

You using Firefox or IE or Opera or Safari? (Try Firefox with web
developer + firebug for one of the best client side developer
environments available)

jufemaiz: jc

I don't have any client side source code. It is all in Server side.

then how do you know there's additional space when output?

I hope you're not relying on the "WYSIWYG" because there's nothing out
there that renders properly across all the browsers (best to test
properly)

dancer

I know that there is extra space because when I run it I see the extra
space.
I am testing on my computer with iis.
It seems to reserve space for the text I put in as the error message in the
Required Field Validator.
Is there a way NOT to reserve that space, and have it expand only if the
error occurs?

jufemaiz: jc

I know that there is extra space because when I run it I see the extra
space.
I am testing on my computer with iis.
It seems to reserve space for the text I put in as the error message in the
Required Field Validator.
Is there a way NOT to reserve that space, and have it expand only if the
error occurs?

ok, I'm starting to understand what you are saying. You *are* viewing
this extra space in a web browser, right (as in the page is being
served up by the IIS server).

Do you have any control over the output of the field validator (ie:
can you wrap it in your own elements?). Screenshot it somewhere, or
post the x/html source for the page being served, it'll give me a far
better clue of what's happening.