    When I comment out the RequiredFieldValidator, the extra space goes away.
    Don't want that extra space, but want the validator.

    What can I do?
    dancer, Jun 27, 2007

  2. dancer

    jufemaiz: jc Guest

    On Jun 27, 9:30 am, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > Using ASP.net 1.1 to create user input form.
    >
    > When I put a RequiredFieldValidator I have extra space at the bottom of the
    > cell, as if I had put a <br>.
    > When I comment out the RequiredFieldValidator, the extra space goes away.
    > Don't want that extra space, but want the validator.
    >
    > What can I do?

    what does the client side source code show?
    jufemaiz: jc, Jun 27, 2007

  3. dancer

    dancer Guest

    Sorry to be dumb, but what do you mean by "client side source code"?

    dancer, Jun 27, 2007
  4. dancer

    dancer Guest

    I don't have any client side source code. It is all in Server side.

    dancer, Jun 27, 2007
  5. dancer

    jufemaiz: jc Guest

    On Jun 27, 10:44 am, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > Sorry to be dumb, but what do you mean by "client side source code"?
    >
    > "jufemaiz: jc" <> wrote in message

    > > On Jun 27, 9:30 am, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > >> Using ASP.net 1.1 to create user input form.

    > >> When I put a RequiredFieldValidator I have extra space at the bottom of
    > >> the
    > >> cell, as if I had put a <br>.
    > >> When I comment out the RequiredFieldValidator, the extra space goes away.
    > >> Don't want that extra space, but want the validator.

    > >> What can I do?

    > > what does the client side source code show?

    the code that is seen on the client side (as in what the browser
    shows)...

    You using Firefox or IE or Opera or Safari? (Try Firefox with web
    developer + firebug for one of the best client side developer
    environments available)
    jufemaiz: jc, Jun 27, 2007
  6. dancer

    jufemaiz: jc Guest

    On Jun 27, 10:54 am, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > I don't have any client side source code. It is all in Server side.
    >
    > "jufemaiz: jc" <> wrote in message

    > > On Jun 27, 9:30 am, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > >> Using ASP.net 1.1 to create user input form.

    > >> When I put a RequiredFieldValidator I have extra space at the bottom of
    > >> the
    > >> cell, as if I had put a <br>.
    > >> When I comment out the RequiredFieldValidator, the extra space goes away.
    > >> Don't want that extra space, but want the validator.

    > >> What can I do?

    > > what does the client side source code show?

    then how do you know there's additional space when output?

    I hope you're not relying on the "WYSIWYG" because there's nothing out
    there that renders properly across all the browsers (best to test
    properly)
    jufemaiz: jc, Jun 27, 2007
  7. dancer

    dancer Guest

    I know that there is extra space because when I run it I see the extra
    space.
    I am testing on my computer with iis.
    It seems to reserve space for the text I put in as the error message in the
    Required Field Validator.
    Is there a way NOT to reserve that space, and have it expand only if the
    error occurs?

    dancer, Jun 27, 2007
  8. dancer

    jufemaiz: jc Guest

    On Jun 27, 11:13 am, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > I know that there is extra space because when I run it I see the extra
    > space.
    > I am testing on my computer with iis.
    > It seems to reserve space for the text I put in as the error message in the
    > Required Field Validator.
    > Is there a way NOT to reserve that space, and have it expand only if the
    > error occurs?
    >
    > "jufemaiz: jc" <> wrote in message

    > > On Jun 27, 10:54 am, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > >> I don't have any client side source code. It is all in Server side.

    > >> "jufemaiz: jc" <> wrote in message

    > > then how do you know there's additional space when output?

    > > I hope you're not relying on the "WYSIWYG" because there's nothing out
    > > there that renders properly across all the browsers (best to test
    > > properly)

    ok, I'm starting to understand what you are saying. You *are* viewing
    this extra space in a web browser, right (as in the page is being
    served up by the IIS server).

    Do you have any control over the output of the field validator (ie:
    can you wrap it in your own elements?). Screenshot it somewhere, or
    post the x/html source for the page being served, it'll give me a far
    better clue of what's happening.
    jufemaiz: jc, Jun 27, 2007
  9. dancer

    dancer Guest

    I found it. Display =Dynamic collapses the space reserved.

    dancer, Jun 27, 2007