Extract data from an Excel file

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by FD3S, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. FD3S

    FD3S Guest

    Hi All,

    i was wondering if anyone could give me some help on a perl script i am
    trying to write and i am getting no where :eek:(

    -----

    I have an excel spreadsheet, with the following columns:

    Username Fullname Password Synchronised

    The rows consist of data with the Synchronised column being either a
    YES or a NO.

    What i'd like to do via a perl is to read this excel spreadhseet and
    extract all the rows where the Synchronised column is set to NO and
    output the data to a comma delimited text file in the following format:

    Username,Full Name,Password,OtherID,,,,

    OtherID is just a random word, which i need to include and i require
    the 4 commas too.

    Any help on this would be massively appreciated.

    Best Regards
    FD3S, Jan 13, 2006

  2. FD3S

    MSG Guest

    Read the document of module Win32::OLE. There are code examples in it
    that show you how to read Excel files.
    Post your code so people can help you improve it.
    MSG, Jan 13, 2006

  3. FD3S

    Guest

    FD3S wrote:
    > i was wondering if anyone could give me some help on a perl script i am
    > trying to write and i am getting no where :eek:(

    According to Google, there have been 1,250 Excel-related articles
    posted in this newsgroup alone:

    http://tinyurl.com/9vgxr

    Most refer to plainly obvious CPAN modules:

    http://tinyurl.com/aoxhw

    A TINY bit of initiatiave on your part will probably tell you what you
    need to know. If you have further questions, feel free to post them
    here, but you would be well advised to do so in accordance with the
    guidelines for this group, which you may find at

    These guidelines are for YOUR benefit, BTW. I have NEVER observed a
    situation where someone posted a question which conformed to these
    guidelines who did not receive a prompt, courteous, and expert reply.
    But I have seen MANY situations where someone posted a very poor
    question (as you did) and got nothing but flames (and this is not a
    flame - it is an observation and a recommendation).

    --
    http://DavidFilmer.com
    , Jan 13, 2006
  4. FD3S

    FD3S Guest

    Thanks for the response...am fairly new to this.

    I will have a banter round.

    Best Wishes.
    FD3S, Jan 13, 2006
  5. FD3S

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    [OT] quoting (was: Re: Extract data from an Excel file)

    MSG schreef:
    > Read the document

    For MSG and everybody else with "User-Agent: G2/#.#":

    "How can I automatically quote the previous message
    when I post a reply?"
    http://groups.google.co.uk/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213

    See also:

    What's good 'netiquette' when posting to Usenet?
    http://groups.google.co.uk/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12348
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/

    But Google needs you to vote for 'Default quoting of
    http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=features

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Jan 13, 2006
  6. FD3S

    Tim Berke Guest

    FD3S wrote:
    > Thanks for the response...am fairly new to this.
    >
    > I will have a banter round.
    >
    > Best Wishes.

    Spreadsheet::parseExcel
    Tim