Extract part of html page

Kevin Morgan

I'm trying to write a widget for Mac OSX Tiger. Here's the problem: The
user enters a search term which is sent to a perl script on a remote
server. This script returns a fully formatted HTML page. I only want
part of that page to be displayed. How do I go about doing this?

I'm a newbie when it comes to javascript.....

Kev

Erwin Moller

Kevin said:
I'm trying to write a widget for Mac OSX Tiger. Here's the problem: The
user enters a search term which is sent to a perl script on a remote
server. This script returns a fully formatted HTML page. I only want
part of that page to be displayed. How do I go about doing this?

I'm a newbie when it comes to javascript.....

Kev

Hi Kev,

If you receive a fully formatted HTMLpage, then what?
Javascript will not be of any help here.

You need a serverside solution, not a clientside solution.

Try PHP or Perl, or VBscript.

Good luck.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Erwin said:
Kevin said:
I'm trying to write a widget for Mac OSX Tiger. Here's the problem: The
user enters a search term which is sent to a perl script on a remote
server. This script returns a fully formatted HTML page. I only want
part of that page to be displayed. How do I go about doing this?
[...]

[...]
If you receive a fully formatted HTMLpage, then what?
Javascript will not be of any help here.

You need a serverside solution, not a clientside solution.

Entirely false. XMLHTTPRequest would be a viable approach
here, provided that the mentioned UA supports it.
Try PHP or Perl, or VBscript.

Any of these languages may be used client-side as well,
as J(ava)Script may be used server-side as well.

PointedEars