    core java?
    I tried reading the excel file and got symbols...
    wht should I do?
    ruds, Jun 1, 2008

  2. On 2008-06-01 12:52 +0100, ruds allegedly wrote:
    > I want to extract data from excel file through Java,based on some
    > condition. I have searched on google and got POI but, cant I do it
    > just using core java?

    Of course you can. Just like any other specific library does. The
    question is: do you really want go through the hassle?

    > I tried reading the excel file and got symbols... wht should I do?

    Interprete those symbols fittingly.

    --
    DF.
    to reply privately, change the top-level domain
    Daniele Futtorovic, Jun 1, 2008

  3. ruds

    Etilworg Guest

    Etilworg, Jun 1, 2008
  4. On Jun 1, 2:52 pm, ruds <> wrote:
    > I want to extract data from excel file through Java,based on some
    > condition.
    > I have searched on google and got POI but, cant I do it just using
    > core java?
    > I tried reading the excel file and got symbols...
    > wht should I do?

    There are several ways to do what you want:
    1) Write your own library (may be pure java or mix some other software
    with with JNA) - long way...
    2) Use POI (half year ago there were no good docs and examples) -
    excel files before MS Office XP are good supported
    3) Use OpenOffice.org SDK - the best way to work with Microsoft Office
    files (PowerPoint, Excel, Word..). Fully documented SDK and alot of
    examples. You may use OOo server to work with office files throught
    network.

    Some other libs and projects are not tested by me. More over 90% of
    them are commercial.

    Hope, I helped you..
    maksimov.andrei, Jun 2, 2008
  5. ruds

    ttrifonov Guest

    Hi,

    you can access MS Excel data through ODBC... There is jdbc-odbc driver
    in every JDK.

    Best regards,
    Tanyu

    ttrifonov, Jun 2, 2008