Extracting data from excel file through java

ruds

I want to extract data from excel file through Java,based on some
condition.
I have searched on google and got POI but, cant I do it just using
core java?
I tried reading the excel file and got symbols...
wht should I do?

Daniele Futtorovic

I want to extract data from excel file through Java,based on some
condition. I have searched on google and got POI but, cant I do it
just using core java?

Of course you can. Just like any other specific library does. The
question is: do you really want go through the hassle?
I tried reading the excel file and got symbols... wht should I do?

Interprete those symbols fittingly.

maksimov.andrei

I want to extract data from excel file through Java,based on some
condition.
I have searched on google and got POI but, cant I do it just using
core java?
I tried reading the excel file and got symbols...
wht should I do?

There are several ways to do what you want:
1) Write your own library (may be pure java or mix some other software
with with JNA) - long way...
2) Use POI (half year ago there were no good docs and examples) -
excel files before MS Office XP are good supported
3) Use OpenOffice.org SDK - the best way to work with Microsoft Office
files (PowerPoint, Excel, Word..). Fully documented SDK and alot of
examples. You may use OOo server to work with office files throught
network.

Some other libs and projects are not tested by me. More over 90% of
them are commercial.

Hope, I helped you..

ttrifonov

Hi,

you can access MS Excel data through ODBC... There is jdbc-odbc driver
in every JDK.

Best regards,
Tanyu