Extreme Newbie, HELP! :)

Discussion in 'Python' started by 43fan, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. 43fan

    43fan Guest

    Not only a newbie, but an extreme newbie here, and at this point, really
    only have one application that I need to use Python for. This is in
    Paintshop Pro, version 8.

    Where I work, we regularly take photos of material as we're progressing
    through a job. These photos are named(and stored) according to a specific
    naming process. What happens now is, one person takes the photos and
    downloads the images to a folder, usually having to rotate the image 90deg
    one way or the other. Then, another person renames the files and moves
    them to the appropriate folder.

    Since the name of the file(and actually the folder it's to be located in)
    follows a strict set of rules, the person that's doing the dowloading could
    save them in the proper place, with the proper name. However, this could be
    one of several people, and I'd like to be able to automate the process.

    If there's a way that I can ask the user a series of approx. 4 questions, I
    can determine the location the file should be in, and the name it should be,
    based on the answers to those questions. That's basically all I want to do.
    :) Have them open the downloaded file in PSP 8(or an earlier version if it
    supports it), run the script which would ask the series of questions, then
    save the file in the appropriate folder, with the appropriate name.

    Any help????

    Thanks!
    Shawn
    PS - please excuse the nick, I post in a racing ng as well. :)

    --
    Join the newest in Fantasy Sports.

    http://www.6FantasySports.com
    (this site supports the Victory Junction Gang Camp with a portion of all
    proceeds)

    43fan, Mar 2, 2004

  2. 43fan

    Ken Starks Guest

    In article <>, 43fan
    <> writes
    [snip]

    >If there's a way that I can ask the user a series of approx. 4 questions, I
    >can determine the location the file should be in, and the name it should be,
    >based on the answers to those questions.

    [snip]

    I have a similar task, and my solution (not yet implemented) uses
    the non-printing internal annotations as an image identifier. Many
    (?most?) formats have such a thing. See the -comment option of
    ImageMagick or convert.
    This internal annotation remains with the file if it is moved, and is
    therefore much more reliable as an image identifier, particularly
    if the image is saved to CD-ROM.

    All other information about the image is text-based, and saved
    within a relational data-base.
    I'm no expert, but I don't like BLOBS (Binary Large Objects) in my
    database tables, and I don't like them in CVS.

    +++++++++++++++

    My scripts are based on index.py and saxthumbs.py from the
    book `Python and XML' by Jones and Drake.

    The overall design system is:
    1. Original image saved to somewhere convenient. Could be photograph,
    or scan, or original artwork. No need to be fussy over file-names
    and directory at this stage, because many photographers may get it
    wrong.
    Skill level required: scanning clerk, (i.e. low-skill)

    2. Once a day, or in the middle of the night, or as often as you wish,
    three batch scripts run.

    The first, based index.py, creates a glorified listing in XML format, of
    the approproiate part of your file system. It includes the internal
    annotations (my 'file identity') if they exist.

    The second one creates a unique file identity where one does not
    already exist, and records it within the graphic file. It is not
    for human consumption, so it can normally be calculated from the
    original file owner, and the date-stamp of the file, or any other
    way you wish.

    The third script updates the main image-location table of the
    database, which has the file identity as its key, and contains
    the most recently know location of the file in the file-system.

    This third script is a bit like `updatedb' on linux.

    Skill level required: high to set it up, then zero because it
    should be automatic.

    3. From this database, software can create html or pdf forms that
    display the graphic alongside whatever fields I wish users
    to fill in. Normally I want a heading and caption, but you
    can ask for whatever you wish.

    The server saves the information returned to the database.

    The skill-level for users at this stage is simply that
    of filling in a form on a web-page, and pressing the
    submit button.

    4, 5, 6, ...
    Whatever you like: photo albums, croping, down-grading of colours
    or dpi for bandwidth reasons, screen shows, graphics libraries,
    optical character recognition, handwriting recognition, convert to
    vector format, Etc.

    - -
    Ken, __O
    -\<,_
    (_)/ (_)
    Virtuale Saluton.

    Ken Starks, Mar 2, 2004

  3. 43fan

    bobb Guest

    OT: Re: Extreme Newbie, HELP! :)

    Yo 43fan, long time.
    bobb from rasn.
    Poking 'round here now adays... no time for the lake.
    Sorry not much help for your problem, but it's good to here from ya, just
    the same.

    bobb

    bobb, Mar 2, 2004