Extremely Early CSS?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Radium, Aug 4, 2007.

  1. Radium

    Radium Guest

    Hi:

    I cross-posted to many groups and set follow-ups to even more groups.
    I know this is frowned-upon but I only did this with relevant groups
    after going a Google-Groups search and sorting by relevance. I
    apologize profusely to those who are annoyed by my cross-posting and
    follow-ups.

    What was the earliest version of CSS [Cascading Style Sheets]?

    What type of CSS was used in 1990? In the 80s? Before?

    What CSS was used -- if at all -- with Windows 3.0*? With DOS? With
    Apple II?

    *When I say Windows 3.0, I mean exactly Windows 3.0. Not Windows 3.0a.

    Please note that these are not homework questions but questions out of
    my own interest in CSS, computer history, web design, and internet
    history.

    No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    really interested in this.

    Thanks for your assistance,

    Radium

    Radium, Aug 4, 2007

  2. Radium

    BootNic Guest

    [Followup: alt.html]

    Google tutorial: http://www.googleguide.com/

    History of CSS: http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=history of css&btnG=Search

    --
    BootNic Saturday, August 04, 2007 6:08 PM

    "I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when
    they're writing on a subject I know something about."
    *Keith F. Lynch*

    BootNic, Aug 4, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    Radium <> wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I cross-posted to many groups and set follow-ups to even more groups.
    > I know this is frowned-upon but I only did this with relevant groups
    > after going a Google-Groups search and sorting by relevance. I
    > apologize profusely to those who are annoyed by my cross-posting and
    > follow-ups.
    >
    > What was the earliest version of CSS [Cascading Style Sheets]?
    >
    > What type of CSS was used in 1990? In the 80s? Before?
    >
    > What CSS was used -- if at all -- with Windows 3.0*? With DOS? With
    > Apple II?
    >
    > *When I say Windows 3.0, I mean exactly Windows 3.0. Not Windows 3.0a.
    >
    > Please note that these are not homework questions but questions out of
    > my own interest in CSS, computer history, web design, and internet
    > history.
    >
    > No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
    > jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
    > really interested in this.
    >

    > Thanks for your assistance,
    >
    > Radium

    Don't know what drugs you've been taking but they've really affecting
    your memory. Best see your MD and discuss adjusting your meds. No, I'm
    not joking.

    Seriously, CSS is fairly recent. Netscape 4 and earlier versions of IE
    didn't do very well with them, if at all. There wasn't a browser on
    Apple II or DOS or even Windows 3.0. Mosaic didn't start until 1992:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(web_browser)

    You might try this link as well:

    http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/

    Michael Vilain, Aug 5, 2007
  4. Radium

    John Hosking Guest

    [this troll-food posted to c.i.w.a.s and alt.html only, f'ups set to
    c.i.w.a.s]

    Radium wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I cross-posted to many groups and set follow-ups to even more groups.

    What, exactly, do you expect to happen with this approach? Where did you
    hear about follow-ups? What did you hear about them? Bonus question:
    What does perl.cpan.testers have to do with an origin-of-CSS question?

    > I know this is frowned-upon but I

    am both obnoxious and quite insane.

    > What was the earliest version of CSS [Cascading Style Sheets]?
    >
    > What type of CSS was used in 1990? In the 80s? Before?

    I remember back when I was in Berkeley in the Summer of Love, tripping
    on acid and working part-time in an Internet cafe in Haight-Ashbury. It
    was 1967 and this coffee shop run by this cat named Humpty (who always
    had the good weed, man) installed a computer that some brothers had
    liberated from a military base. And my old lady, Janice, had this flower
    shop down the street, man, and it was cool, but she wasn't making the
    bread, you know? So I made a Web page in HTML, dig? And I thought to
    myself, one night, I thought to myself, man, setting fonts and sizes
    individually just _bites_ man, you know? I mean, changing the colors of
    all the flowers was, like, a total _bitch_, man. So I used CSS. But I
    don't remember a version number. It was, like, dark. It got dark.

    > No offense

    Too late.

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    John Hosking, Aug 5, 2007
  5. BootNic wrote:

    >> What was the earliest version of CSS [Cascading Style Sheets]?
    >>
    >> What type of CSS was used in 1990? In the 80s? Before?

    I know a very early version of CSS that was used on the website of
    Elvis. That must have been early 70s. Maybe version number 0.8beta? The
    only style that could be applied was

    body {
    love-me: tender;
    }

    which could be directly applied to the body-element and resulted in a
    very harmonic background color scheme. I think it was declared as
    deprecated by the W3C in the mid 80's (it didn't work on MSX-computers).

    >> What CSS was used -- if at all -- with Windows 3.0*? With DOS? With
    >> Apple II?

    yeah windows 3.0! Those were times! I remember using CSS on my ZX-81
    (early 80s just after the love-me: tender; rule got banned!

    >> *When I say Windows 3.0, I mean exactly Windows 3.0. Not Windows 3.0a.

    I know, dude, I know. Windows 3.0a is so old school, and never got the
    respect it deserved (nevertheless the unlucky versions 2.5-2.9beta).

    HTH
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch