Fabric Engine + Python benchmarks

Fabric Paul

Hi all - just letting you know that we recently integrated Fabric with
Python. Fabric is a high-performance multi-threading engine that
integrates with dynamic languages. We're releasing soon (probably
under AGPL), and we just released these benchmarks.

http://fabric-engine.com/2012/02/fabric-engine-python-value-at-risk-benchmark/

Before anyone starts attacking the vanilla python :), the point we
want to make is that our Python integration performs just as well as
our Node.js implementation (benchmarks found at http://fabric-engine.com/tag/benchmarks/).
Obviously, it's pretty trivial to compile Python to byte code, and
present multi-threaded versions of the program - however, the goal of
Fabric is to handle that side of things automatically (that's what the
engine does). This means we take care of threading, dynamic
compilation, memory management etc

Interested to get your feedback.

Kind regards,

Paul (I work at Fabric)

Stefan Behnel

Fabric Paul

Fabric Paul, 10.02.2012 17:04:

Hmm, first of all, fabric is a tool for automating
admin/deployment/whatever tasks:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Fabric/1.3.4

http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.3.4/index.html

Not sure which went first, but since you mentioned that you're "releasing
soon", you may want to stop the engines for a moment and reconsider the name.

Stefan

Hi Stefan - Thanks for the heads up. Fabric Engine has been going for
about 2 years now. Registered company etc. I'll be sure to refer to it
as Fabric Engine so there's no confusion. We were unaware there was a
python tool called Fabric.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Rubin

Fabric Paul said:
Hi Stefan - Thanks for the heads up. Fabric Engine has been going for
about 2 years now. Registered company etc. I'll be sure to refer to it
as Fabric Engine so there's no confusion. We were unaware there was a
python tool called Fabric.

There will still be confusion. The Fabric configuration tool is quite
well known in the python and sysadmin communities, so it will be the
first thing people will think of. If you weren't already aware of it,
I'd guess you're pretty far out of contact with Python's existing user
population, so there may be further sources of mismatch between your
product and what else is out there (I'm thinking of Stackless, PyPy,
etc.) Still, yoour product sounds pretty cool.

Albert W. Hopkins

There will still be confusion. The Fabric configuration tool is quite
well known in the python and sysadmin communities, so it will be the
first thing people will think of. If you weren't already aware of it,
I'd guess you're pretty far out of contact with Python's existing user
population, so there may be further sources of mismatch between your
product and what else is out there (I'm thinking of Stackless, PyPy,
etc.) Still, yoour product sounds pretty cool.

Indeed. When I first saw the subject header I thought it was referring
to the Python-based deployment tool. It's just going to confuse people.
It's enough already that we have a bunch of stuff with "pi" and "py" in
the name :|

Does the OSS community *really* need another "Firebird" incident?

-a