Fabric Engine + Python benchmarks

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fabric Paul, Feb 10, 2012.

  1. Fabric Paul

    Fabric Paul Guest

    Hi all - just letting you know that we recently integrated Fabric with
    Python. Fabric is a high-performance multi-threading engine that
    integrates with dynamic languages. We're releasing soon (probably
    under AGPL), and we just released these benchmarks.

    http://fabric-engine.com/2012/02/fabric-engine-python-value-at-risk-benchmark/

    Before anyone starts attacking the vanilla python :), the point we
    want to make is that our Python integration performs just as well as
    our Node.js implementation (benchmarks found at http://fabric-engine.com/tag/benchmarks/).
    Obviously, it's pretty trivial to compile Python to byte code, and
    present multi-threaded versions of the program - however, the goal of
    Fabric is to handle that side of things automatically (that's what the
    engine does). This means we take care of threading, dynamic
    compilation, memory management etc

    Interested to get your feedback.

    Kind regards,

    Paul (I work at Fabric)

    Fabric Paul, Feb 10, 2012

  2. Fabric Paul, 10.02.2012 17:04:
    > Fabric is a high-performance multi-threading engine that
    > integrates with dynamic languages.

    Hmm, first of all, fabric is a tool for automating
    admin/deployment/whatever tasks:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Fabric/1.3.4

    http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.3.4/index.html

    Not sure which went first, but since you mentioned that you're "releasing
    soon", you may want to stop the engines for a moment and reconsider the name.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Feb 10, 2012

  3. Fabric Paul

    Fabric Paul Guest

    On Feb 10, 12:21 pm, Stefan Behnel <> wrote:
    > Fabric Paul, 10.02.2012 17:04:
    >
    > > Fabric is a high-performance multi-threading engine that
    > > integrates with dynamic languages.

    > Hmm, first of all, fabric is a tool for automating
    > admin/deployment/whatever tasks:
    >
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Fabric/1.3.4
    >
    > http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.3.4/index.html
    >
    > Not sure which went first, but since you mentioned that you're "releasing
    > soon", you may want to stop the engines for a moment and reconsider the name.
    >
    > Stefan

    Hi Stefan - Thanks for the heads up. Fabric Engine has been going for
    about 2 years now. Registered company etc. I'll be sure to refer to it
    as Fabric Engine so there's no confusion. We were unaware there was a
    python tool called Fabric.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Fabric Paul, Feb 10, 2012
  4. Fabric Paul

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Fabric Paul <> writes:
    > Hi Stefan - Thanks for the heads up. Fabric Engine has been going for
    > about 2 years now. Registered company etc. I'll be sure to refer to it
    > as Fabric Engine so there's no confusion. We were unaware there was a
    > python tool called Fabric.

    There will still be confusion. The Fabric configuration tool is quite
    well known in the python and sysadmin communities, so it will be the
    first thing people will think of. If you weren't already aware of it,
    I'd guess you're pretty far out of contact with Python's existing user
    population, so there may be further sources of mismatch between your
    product and what else is out there (I'm thinking of Stackless, PyPy,
    etc.) Still, yoour product sounds pretty cool.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 10, 2012
  5. On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 14:52 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Fabric Paul <> writes:
    > > Hi Stefan - Thanks for the heads up. Fabric Engine has been going for
    > > about 2 years now. Registered company etc. I'll be sure to refer to it
    > > as Fabric Engine so there's no confusion. We were unaware there was a
    > > python tool called Fabric.

    > There will still be confusion. The Fabric configuration tool is quite
    > well known in the python and sysadmin communities, so it will be the
    > first thing people will think of. If you weren't already aware of it,
    > I'd guess you're pretty far out of contact with Python's existing user
    > population, so there may be further sources of mismatch between your
    > product and what else is out there (I'm thinking of Stackless, PyPy,
    > etc.) Still, yoour product sounds pretty cool.

    Indeed. When I first saw the subject header I thought it was referring
    to the Python-based deployment tool. It's just going to confuse people.
    It's enough already that we have a bunch of stuff with "pi" and "py" in
    the name :|

    Does the OSS community *really* need another "Firebird" incident?

    -a

    Albert W. Hopkins, Feb 10, 2012