Facade for 3rd party controls, CompositeControl?

Mark

Hi...

Kind of a typical request from product management - they want to be able to
swap in different 3rd party controls depending on their whim and the day. In
this case, they want to support FreeTextBox and Cute Editor interchangably.

I've been trying to put together a container control derived from
CompositeControl to put a facade around the interaction. Depending on the
configuration, I want to put a FreeTextBox2 or a cute editor control into the
ControlCollection.

I overrode CreateChildControls() to set things up. That seems to get the
controls created and initialized, but not rendered.

I overrode my CompositeControl.Render() method to render the child, but
FreeTextBox2 (my first test case) has some member variables that are only
initialized in FreeTextBox2.OnPreRender(), which apparently hasn't been
called.

I tried to override my CompositeControl.OnPreRender() but since
OnPreRender() is protected, I can't call my child FreeTextBox2.OnPreRender().

Am I just barking up the wrong tree here? What is the best way to make a
shell container just to hold another container of choice? How do you get the
controls in the collection hooked up to get all of the various calls in the
stages of execution?

Thanks
Mark

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Mark,

Regarding on this issue, I've also seen your another thread posted in the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet newsgroup.

I've also added some inputs there. Welcome to continue followup there.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).