Facebook... only 154 to go?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hal Fulton, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Hal Fulton, Oct 11, 2005

  2. It seems like we've got two separate revisions going, neither of which
    has everyone:
    Here's the version that Hal Fulton is on:
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?action=3Dbrowse&id=3DRubyConf2005Facebook&re=
    vision=3D106

    ..and here's a revision close to what you actually see on the page right no=
    w..
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?action=3Dbrowse&id=3DRubyConf2005Facebook&re=
    vision=3D24

    Someone want to freeze the page and merge them, or is there a better
    way to get everyone in one place?

    --Wilson.

    Wilson Bilkovich, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Hal Fulton

    Guest

    Hmm. How did we end up with two?

    I prefer the numbered one, I think.

    Hal
    , Oct 11, 2005
  4. On 10/11/05, Wilson Bilkovich <> wrote:
    > Someone want to freeze the page and merge them, or is there a better
    > way to get everyone in one place?

    I suspect that one of these is in the tarpit. If your title bar says
    RUBY, then you're in the tarpit and need to log in so as to modify the
    real page.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Hal Fulton

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On Oct 11, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > On 10/11/05, Wilson Bilkovich <> wrote:
    >
    >> Someone want to freeze the page and merge them, or is there a better
    >> way to get everyone in one place?

    > I suspect that one of these is in the tarpit. If your title bar says
    > RUBY, then you're in the tarpit and need to log in so as to modify the
    > real page.

    Okay. That's really annoying. I understand the purpose of the tarpit,
    but it looks like a goodly number of us got snared by it
    inadvertantly. This Facebook idea was good, but the wiki has done
    anything but facilitate it, it seems.

    /me throws his hands up in disgust.

    - Jamis
    Jamis Buck, Oct 11, 2005
  6. Hal Fulton

    Bill Kelly Guest

    From: "Austin Ziegler" <>

    > If your title bar says RUBY, then you're in the tarpit and
    > need to log in so as to modify the real page.

    To clarify, does case matter here? My title bar says "Ruby: ..."
    Is it only uppercase "RUBY" that indicates the tarpit?

    Regards,

    Bill
    Bill Kelly, Oct 11, 2005
  7. On 10/11/05, Bill Kelly <> wrote:
    > From: "Austin Ziegler" <>
    > >
    > > If your title bar says RUBY, then you're in the tarpit and
    > > need to log in so as to modify the real page.

    > To clarify, does case matter here? My title bar says "Ruby: ..."
    > Is it only uppercase "RUBY" that indicates the tarpit?

    Case matters. I'm not sure that this is a case of the tarpit, having
    looked at it. I think that it is simply stomped editing. If I have
    time, later, I may go through and try to put it all right, when I put
    my picture up (haven't decided which picture to use).

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Oct 11, 2005
  8. OK.. I made an account, and now the title bar says 'Ruby', rather than 'RUB=
    Y'.
    I checked the two lists against each other, and added the four missing
    people to the 'real' list.
    44. Wilson Bilkovich
    45. Steven Baker
    46. Jeremy Hubert
    47. JamisBuck

    It's evil that the "correct" list isn't directly viewable without
    logging in, though.

    Wilson Bilkovich, Oct 11, 2005
  9. Hal Fulton

    James Britt Guest

    Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
    > OK.. I made an account, and now the title bar says 'Ruby', rather than 'RUBY'.
    > I checked the two lists against each other, and added the four missing
    > people to the 'real' list.
    > 44. Wilson Bilkovich
    > 45. Steven Baker
    > 46. Jeremy Hubert
    > 47. JamisBuck
    >
    > It's evil that the "correct" list isn't directly viewable without
    > logging in, though.

    Just how *does* one log in? The log in page (I think I found it)
    appears, for me right now, to be in the tarpit a well.

    Although, just now, navigating from the main page, I was able to get to
    what I think is the low-tar Face page.

    James

    James Britt, Oct 11, 2005
  10. Hal Fulton

    James Britt Guest

    Bill Kelly wrote:
    > From: "Austin Ziegler" <>
    >
    >>If your title bar says RUBY, then you're in the tarpit and
    >>need to log in so as to modify the real page.

    > To clarify, does case matter here? My title bar says "Ruby: ..."
    > Is it only uppercase "RUBY" that indicates the tarpit?

    And where is the hoodwink.d layer so we can all leave snarky comments
    about the pix?

    James

    James Britt, Oct 11, 2005
  11. James Britt wrote:

    > And where is the hoodwink.d layer so we can all leave snarky comments
    > about the pix?

    Uh... I thought I added that? hum?... ohhhh, you must be stuck in the
    hoodwink.d tarpit.

    Is the name "Gail" capitalized in the title bar? I'd say you're
    probably in the tarpit, if so.

    But tell me, is there a 3-d rendering of a duck eating a beef sandwich
    in the upper corner? Yeah, then you're in the tarpit.

    Oh and did a cowboy just pop out of the bottom left corner and start
    nailing egg cartons to the web page? Okay, then FOR SURE you're in the
    tarpit.

    Just hop off that subnet and you'll be fine. Thanks for bringing this
    to my attentiveness.

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Oct 11, 2005
  12. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > On 10/11/05, Wilson Bilkovich <> wrote:
    >
    >>Someone want to freeze the page and merge them, or is there a better
    >>way to get everyone in one place?

    > I suspect that one of these is in the tarpit. If your title bar says
    > RUBY, then you're in the tarpit and need to log in so as to modify the
    > real page.

    Well... I see "Ruby:" on both, but "RUBY" on neither.

    Hal
    Hal Fulton, Oct 12, 2005
  13. On 10/11/05, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
    > > OK.. I made an account, and now the title bar says 'Ruby', rather than =

    'RUBY'.
    > > I checked the two lists against each other, and added the four missing
    > > people to the 'real' list.
    > > 44. Wilson Bilkovich
    > > 45. Steven Baker
    > > 46. Jeremy Hubert
    > > 47. JamisBuck
    > >
    > > It's evil that the "correct" list isn't directly viewable without
    > > logging in, though.

    > Just how *does* one log in? The log in page (I think I found it)
    > appears, for me right now, to be in the tarpit a well.

    I went to the "Preferences" page, linked from HomePage, and set some.
    That seemed to do the trick.
    Wilson Bilkovich, Oct 12, 2005
  14. On 10/11/05, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Just how *does* one log in? The log in page (I think I found it)
    > appears, for me right now, to be in the tarpit a well.

    It's in the tarpit, but as soon as you have the cookie, you can
    refresh and you'll be out of the tarpit. At least, that's the theory.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Oct 12, 2005
  15. On 10/11/05, why the lucky stiff <> wrote:

    > Uh... I thought I added that? hum?... ohhhh, you must be stuck in the
    > hoodwink.d tarpit.
    >
    > Is the name "Gail" capitalized in the title bar? I'd say you're
    > probably in the tarpit, if so.
    >
    > But tell me, is there a 3-d rendering of a duck eating a beef sandwich
    > in the upper corner? Yeah, then you're in the tarpit.
    >
    > Oh and did a cowboy just pop out of the bottom left corner and start
    > nailing egg cartons to the web page? Okay, then FOR SURE you're in the
    > tarpit.
    >
    > Just hop off that subnet and you'll be fine. Thanks for bringing this
    > to my attentiveness.
    >
    > _why

    I feel like I really shouldn't feed the _why, but I almost passed out
    while laughing at that...

    ~:-D (the almost passed out while laughing smiley...or a baby with one hair=
    )

    Ryan
    Ryan Leavengood, Oct 12, 2005
  16. On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Wilson Bilkovich wrote:

    > I went to the "Preferences" page, linked from HomePage, and set some.
    > That seemed to do the trick.

    Ok, I've figured that out. Now where do I store the picture to link to?

    -- Matt
    Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_
    Matt Lawrence, Oct 12, 2005