facet gem versions

Brian Buckley

------=_Part_6773_11749589.1139691546541

The facet gems currently installed my system are

facets (2005.10.30, 2005.10.15, 1.0.2)
The proverbial Zoo-of-More for Ruby
facets_core (1.0.2)
Vast collection of atomic core extension methods.
facets_more (1.0.2)
Large collection of additional classes, modules and microframeworks.

If I open a new IRB session type a "require" line without first a
"require_gem", the method added in comes from (facets 2005.10.30)
require 'facet/float/approx'

But if I do a require_gem statement prior to the same require line, the
method comes from (facets_core 1.0.2)
require_gem 'facets_core'
require 'facet/float/approx'

There seems to be a (dangerous?) mixing of lines of gems here. Also I had
been thinking "require_gem" was optional and only needed when a version
other than the most recent was needed.

My questions:
Are 'facets_core'/'facets_more' the active lines now, and is it advisable t=
uninstall the gems from the old 'facets' line [including saying Y those
dependency warnings])?

In general is the "require_gem" line necessary when using gems and an error
to omit it even when one just wants to use the most recent version?

Thanks.

Brian K. Buckley

------=_Part_6773_11749589.1139691546541--

David Vallner

D=C5=88a Sobota 11 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 21:59 Brian Buckley nap=C3=ADsal:
[...]

to uninstall the gems from the old 'facets' line [including saying Y those
dependency warnings])?

In general is the "require_gem" line necessary when using gems and an err= or
to omit it even when one just wants to use the most recent version?

Thanks.

Brian K. Buckley

#require_gem does that, requires a gem by its name. But requiring 'rubygems=
'=20
also changes the semantics of #require - now it searches the gems as if the=
y=20
all were in site_ruby.

They aren't being mixed, 'facets' is just a metagem that depends on=20
facets_core and facets_more - both of those gems share the same "library=20
namespace"

Generally, it's more common to use #require instead of #require_gem.

David Vallner

Trans

As of 1.0.3 I've instructed RubyGems to search in two places, namely
packages/core/lib and packages/more/lib. This way I have (finally) been
able to combine the two parts in one seemless facets.gem.

T.