FACETS - Gem installation errors

Jon A. Lambert

C:\>gem update
Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of facets
Attempting remote installation of 'facets'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method `close' for nil:NilClass

C:\>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

Trans

Hmph. I'm running Linux with Ruby 1.8.3 no problems. So it's either
something to do with windows or something to do with the new version
of Ruby. Can anyone else confirm installation on a 1.8.3 Windows system
or on a 1.8.2 Linux system?

T.

Austin Ziegler

Hmph. I'm running Linux with Ruby 1.8.3 no problems. So it's either
something to do with windows or something to do with the new version
of Ruby. Can anyone else confirm installation on a 1.8.3 Windows system
or on a 1.8.2 Linux system?

There is no 1.8.3. Windows install kit, and there probably won't be
one. You need to re-release your gems generated on 1.8.2 because of a
fatal YAML error introduced in 1.8.3.

-austin

Trans

Austin said:
There is no 1.8.3. Windows install kit, and there probably won't be
one. You need to re-release your gems generated on 1.8.2 because of a
fatal YAML error introduced in 1.8.3.

Really? Why aren't we getting this fixed and getting a bumped 1.8.3-1
or whatever instead of reverting to 1.8.2? I don't meant to be an ass
of anything but this seesm backwards.

Thanks for the info.

T.

Jon A. Lambert

Trans said:
Really? Why aren't we getting this fixed and getting a bumped 1.8.3-1
or whatever instead of reverting to 1.8.2? I don't meant to be an ass
of anything but this seesm backwards.

Why are we not testing our software on Ruby 1.8.2 or any other platform?
Why are we using bizarre release numbers in Gems now? Why are we changing
the interface and name of the software every release? Why are we
deprecating release software that works with alpha or beta?

Not to be an ass or anything but I solved my problem by moving the original
authors' code I was using out of the collection and into my vendor lib.

Thanks

Trans

Jon said:
Why are we not testing our software on Ruby 1.8.2 or any other platform?
Why are we using bizarre release numbers in Gems now? Why are we changing
the interface and name of the software every release? Why are we
deprecating release software that works with alpha or beta?

Not to be an ass or anything but I solved my problem by moving the original
authors' code I was using out of the collection and into my vendor lib.

No you are being an ASS!

T.

Trans

anything but I solved my problem by moving the original
authors' code I was using out of the collection and into my vendor lib.

Also, who whould the orginal author be? Considering I've written well
over half of it with my own two hands would it be me? I don't care if
you copy, but use appropriate license and credit the authors involved
appropriately.

But really I don't know what your so upset about. I upgrade my system.
I got Ruby 1.8.3 when I did. I did not know gems would break b/c of it
--and yes I'm going to go back an reinstall 1.8.2 to fix it.

The name only changed _once_, for brief period, btw. Most people didn't
even seem to notice b/c I still had both versions out there. And ALL
previous directory paths involved are supported. As for the interface
change, the old way still works. But I've explained tha very good
reasons behind moving forward in this way. You might not like it. Fine,
but why get mad at me for it? I'm the one maintining all this, I'm the
one slaving day and night to make the best damn add on lib for Ruby
there is. You don't like it then don't use it. I am quite clear on
where this is going. There is no "if", no "fragility". It is as
supposed to be. And in the end when its reached maturity, you'll see I
made the right choices.

I'm sorry I can't just snap my fingers and *POOF* it's all done. But
progress means change. Facets is a work in progress.

T.

Jon A. Lambert

Trans said:
Also, who whould the orginal author be? Considering I've written well
over half of it with my own two hands would it be me? I don't care if
you copy, but use appropriate license and credit the authors involved
appropriately.

Don't worry as that happens to be a particular obsession of mine.
But really I don't know what your so upset about. I upgrade my system.
I got Ruby 1.8.3 when I did. I did not know gems would break b/c of it
--and yes I'm going to go back an reinstall 1.8.2 to fix it.

I'm not. I simply asked similar questions of Facets that you are asking
of Ruby.

My solution is to fork it rather than deal with it. Similarly I forked Og
Dog because while it had good ideas, it suffers from dysfunctional
development and project management methodology.

Maybe I'll come back to Facets/Mega/Nano/Whatever when it matures.

In the meantime I'll remain agile and independent.
Good luck.

Ryan Leavengood

I'm not. I simply asked similar questions of Facets that you are asking
of Ruby.

My solution is to fork it rather than deal with it. Similarly I forked = Og
to Dog because while it had good ideas, it suffers from dysfunctional
development and project management methodology.

Maybe I'll come back to Facets/Mega/Nano/Whatever when it matures.

In the meantime I'll remain agile and independent.
Good luck.

I can understand that sometimes dealing with problematic software can
be frustrating, especially when you have customers to deal with as
well, but you should consider being more diplomatic. Flies, vinegar,
honey, etc. You too Trans.

Probably making a mistake by stepping in the middle, but oh well,
Ryan

Trans

My solution is to fork it rather than deal with it. Similarly I forked Og
to Dog because while it had good ideas, it suffers from dysfunctional
development and project management methodology.

Why don't you contribute back some of your changes? I just did a
session myself with Og and cleaned up some large sections of code.

T.

Trans

I have rebuilt gem with Ruby 1.8.2. I have kept the same name/version
so I hope that'll still update the Rubyforge Gems repository. Please
let me know if it worked for you or not.

Thanks.
T.