    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

    --
    J. Lambert

    Jon A. Lambert, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Jon A. Lambert

    Trans Guest

    Hmph. I'm running Linux with Ruby 1.8.3 no problems. So it's either
    something to do with windows or something to do with the new version
    of Ruby. Can anyone else confirm installation on a 1.8.3 Windows system
    or on a 1.8.2 Linux system?

    T.

    Trans, Oct 29, 2005

  3. On 10/28/05, Trans <> wrote:
    > Hmph. I'm running Linux with Ruby 1.8.3 no problems. So it's either
    > something to do with windows or something to do with the new version
    > of Ruby. Can anyone else confirm installation on a 1.8.3 Windows system
    > or on a 1.8.2 Linux system?

    There is no 1.8.3. Windows install kit, and there probably won't be
    one. You need to re-release your gems generated on 1.8.2 because of a
    fatal YAML error introduced in 1.8.3.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Jon A. Lambert

    Trans Guest

    Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > On 10/28/05, Trans <> wrote:
    > > Hmph. I'm running Linux with Ruby 1.8.3 no problems. So it's either
    > > something to do with windows or something to do with the new version
    > > of Ruby. Can anyone else confirm installation on a 1.8.3 Windows system
    > > or on a 1.8.2 Linux system?

    > There is no 1.8.3. Windows install kit, and there probably won't be
    > one. You need to re-release your gems generated on 1.8.2 because of a
    > fatal YAML error introduced in 1.8.3.

    Really? Why aren't we getting this fixed and getting a bumped 1.8.3-1
    or whatever instead of reverting to 1.8.2? I don't meant to be an ass
    of anything but this seesm backwards.

    Thanks for the info.

    T.

    Trans, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Trans wrote:
    > Austin Ziegler wrote:
    >> On 10/28/05, Trans <> wrote:
    >>> Hmph. I'm running Linux with Ruby 1.8.3 no problems. So it's either
    >>> something to do with windows or something to do with the new
    >>> version of Ruby. Can anyone else confirm installation on a 1.8.3
    >>> Windows system or on a 1.8.2 Linux system?

    >> There is no 1.8.3. Windows install kit, and there probably won't be
    >> one. You need to re-release your gems generated on 1.8.2 because of a
    >> fatal YAML error introduced in 1.8.3.

    > Really? Why aren't we getting this fixed and getting a bumped 1.8.3-1
    > or whatever instead of reverting to 1.8.2? I don't meant to be an ass
    > of anything but this seesm backwards.

    Why are we not testing our software on Ruby 1.8.2 or any other platform?
    Why are we using bizarre release numbers in Gems now? Why are we changing
    the interface and name of the software every release? Why are we
    deprecating release software that works with alpha or beta?

    Not to be an ass or anything but I solved my problem by moving the original
    authors' code I was using out of the collection and into my vendor lib.

    Thanks

    --
    J Lambert

    Jon A. Lambert, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Jon A. Lambert

    Trans Guest

    Jon A. Lambert wrote:
    > Why are we not testing our software on Ruby 1.8.2 or any other platform?
    > Why are we using bizarre release numbers in Gems now? Why are we changing
    > the interface and name of the software every release? Why are we
    > deprecating release software that works with alpha or beta?
    >
    > Not to be an ass or anything but I solved my problem by moving the original
    > authors' code I was using out of the collection and into my vendor lib.

    No you are being an ASS!

    T.

    Trans, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Jon A. Lambert

    Trans Guest

    > anything but I solved my problem by moving the original
    > authors' code I was using out of the collection and into my vendor lib.

    Also, who whould the orginal author be? Considering I've written well
    over half of it with my own two hands would it be me? I don't care if
    you copy, but use appropriate license and credit the authors involved
    appropriately.

    But really I don't know what your so upset about. I upgrade my system.
    I got Ruby 1.8.3 when I did. I did not know gems would break b/c of it
    --and yes I'm going to go back an reinstall 1.8.2 to fix it.

    The name only changed _once_, for brief period, btw. Most people didn't
    even seem to notice b/c I still had both versions out there. And ALL
    previous directory paths involved are supported. As for the interface
    change, the old way still works. But I've explained tha very good
    reasons behind moving forward in this way. You might not like it. Fine,
    but why get mad at me for it? I'm the one maintining all this, I'm the
    one slaving day and night to make the best damn add on lib for Ruby
    there is. You don't like it then don't use it. I am quite clear on
    where this is going. There is no "if", no "fragility". It is as
    supposed to be. And in the end when its reached maturity, you'll see I
    made the right choices.

    I'm sorry I can't just snap my fingers and *POOF* it's all done. But
    progress means change. Facets is a work in progress.

    T.

    Trans, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Trans wrote:
    >> anything but I solved my problem by moving the original
    >> authors' code I was using out of the collection and into my vendor
    >> lib.

    > Also, who whould the orginal author be? Considering I've written well
    > over half of it with my own two hands would it be me? I don't care if
    > you copy, but use appropriate license and credit the authors involved
    > appropriately.

    Don't worry as that happens to be a particular obsession of mine.

    > But really I don't know what your so upset about. I upgrade my system.
    > I got Ruby 1.8.3 when I did. I did not know gems would break b/c of it
    > --and yes I'm going to go back an reinstall 1.8.2 to fix it.

    I'm not. I simply asked similar questions of Facets that you are asking
    of Ruby.

    My solution is to fork it rather than deal with it. Similarly I forked Og
    Dog because while it had good ideas, it suffers from dysfunctional
    development and project management methodology.

    Maybe I'll come back to Facets/Mega/Nano/Whatever when it matures.

    In the meantime I'll remain agile and independent.
    Good luck.

    --
    J Lambert

    Jon A. Lambert, Oct 29, 2005
  9. On 10/29/05, Jon A. Lambert <> wrote:

    > I'm not. I simply asked similar questions of Facets that you are asking
    > of Ruby.
    >
    > My solution is to fork it rather than deal with it. Similarly I forked =

    Og
    > to Dog because while it had good ideas, it suffers from dysfunctional
    > development and project management methodology.
    >
    > Maybe I'll come back to Facets/Mega/Nano/Whatever when it matures.
    >
    > In the meantime I'll remain agile and independent.
    > Good luck.

    I can understand that sometimes dealing with problematic software can
    be frustrating, especially when you have customers to deal with as
    well, but you should consider being more diplomatic. Flies, vinegar,
    honey, etc. You too Trans.

    Probably making a mistake by stepping in the middle, but oh well,
    Ryan

    Ryan Leavengood, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Jon A. Lambert

    Trans Guest

    > My solution is to fork it rather than deal with it. Similarly I forked Og
    > to Dog because while it had good ideas, it suffers from dysfunctional
    > development and project management methodology.

    Why don't you contribute back some of your changes? I just did a
    session myself with Og and cleaned up some large sections of code.

    T.

    Trans, Oct 30, 2005
  11. Jon A. Lambert

    Trans Guest

    I have rebuilt gem with Ruby 1.8.2. I have kept the same name/version
    so I hope that'll still update the Rubyforge Gems repository. Please
    let me know if it worked for you or not.

    Thanks.
    T.

    Trans, Oct 31, 2005