Facing Session Timeout problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Hema S via DotNetMonster.com, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. Dear All,

    Problem 1
    -----------
    I am using Sql Server for session state and setting the timeout property.
    But my session is not getting expired at all.

    Snippet
    <sessionState
    mode="SQLServer"
    sqlConnectionString="server=10.10.10.216;uid=XX;pwd=XX;"
    cookieless="false"
    timeout="1"
    />

    Problem 2
    ----------

    I also have session timeout problem when i switch across application.

    Eg Main Application calling the sub application and their session are
    running independently, when i try to swtich back to main application, iam
    getting a session time out error and vice versa.

    Can any one help me out.

    Hema S

    Hema S via DotNetMonster.com, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Hema S via DotNetMonster.com

    Brock Allen Guest

    > Problem 1
    > -----------
    > But my session is not getting expired at all.

    What makes you think this? If it's because Session_End is not getting called,
    then this is by design when you're storing your session out of process in
    SqlServer or the NT State Server Service.

    > Problem 2
    > ----------
    > I also have session timeout problem when i switch across application.

    Each virtual directory is a seperate AppDomain in the worker process. All
    objects in .NET are scoped to an AppDomain. Session and anything you put
    into it are objects. Thus they can't be shared across applications. If you
    want to share data across the application boundary you'll have to store that
    data in an commonly accessible location (like a database).

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Apr 21, 2005