Fading Rotation Script That Displays HTML

Fred

Can anyone recommend a script that rotates html so that it fades form
one div for table to the next?

I hate using Flash.

Fred

Can anyone recommend a script that rotates html so that it fades form
one div for table to the next?

I hate using Flash.

I wonder if Layer Genie can do something like this?

http://dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=4353

They are asking just under $100 bucks for the software.

I think I'd be willing to pay for software that would allow me to do
this.

I just need it to be WC3 compliant and work in IE and degrade
gracefully in all other browsers.

You might think there would be a script that rotates html with a fade
(or other effect) but there is very little out there.

Most scripts just rotate images or text with little or no formatting.

I need a script that rotates html that I specify.

Jonathan N. Little

Fred said:
I wonder if Layer Genie can do something like this?

http://dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=4353

Wow it got Rating: 2.1 out of 5! Not too impressive even for Dreamweavers!
They are asking just under $100 bucks for the software.

I think I'd be willing to pay for software that would allow me to do
this.

Save your money. Disable JavaScript and "Look Ma, no menu!" Bad idea to
depend on JavaScript for site navigation.

Fred

Save your money. Disable JavaScript and "Look Ma, no menu!" Bad idea to
depend on JavaScript for site navigation.

No, I'm not going to use the nav for this.
I'm simply rotating some text messages that will lay over a background
image.

Jonathan N. Little

Fred said:
No, I'm not going to use the nav for this.
I'm simply rotating some text messages that will lay over a background
image.

Confused, I did see anywhere where Layer Genie siad it can "rotate" text.

Jonathan N. Little

Fred said:
Yea, I agree with you on your comments about Layer Genie.
I read some of the forums posts and they sent up red flags.

I did find this though.
http://www.addobject.com/nlsscrollerdemo/examples/fading_effect.htm

They are asking for $30 for the scripts.
I think I'll pull the trigger and buy it.

This does what I want.

I wouldn't use in on anything *important* on your site, like navigation!

When they state:

"NOTE that in Opera and other browsers that doesn't supports opacity,
the scroller will use default continuous scroll."

A browser in question is MSIE. Not that I am defending that POS browser,
but because of its marketshare it cannot be ignored. BTW, in IE6 it does
neither the the fade effect or scroll but just sits there with
superimposed images and throws an error!

Error: Class not registered

If you want some special effect, currently flash is really the only
practical way to do it. But not for your sites navigation, see:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=why+flash+navigation+sucks&btnG=Google+Search
why flash navigation sucks - Google Search

Fred

I wouldn't use in on anything *important* on your site, like navigation!

When they state:

"NOTE that in Opera and other browsers that doesn't supports opacity,
the scroller will use default continuous scroll."

A browser in question is MSIE. Not that I am defending that POS browser,
but because of its marketshare it cannot be ignored. BTW, in IE6 it does
neither the the fade effect or scroll but just sits there with
superimposed images and throws an error!

Error: Class not registered

If you want some special effect, currently flash is really the only
practical way to do it. But not for your sites navigation, see:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=why+flash+navigation+sucks&btnG=Google+Search
why flash navigation sucks - Google Search

Yea, the reason I'm leaning toward this method is because I hate Flash
so much.

Don't get me started with Flash. It's more trouble than its worth in
on so many points.

When you use DWeaver to embed flash it sends up a crap loads of errors
when validating the call here.
http://validator.w3.org/

Dreamweaver/Flash is a PITA let me tell you.

FYI: I would NEVER use Flash for navigation.

Bergamot

I suggest you stop wanting it. Usability-wise, this is just ghastly.
BTW, in IE6 it does
neither the the fade effect or scroll but just sits there with
superimposed images and throws an error!

IE requires both JavaScript and ActiveX enabled for the total effect. An
error is thrown when JS is enabled, but not ActiveX. ActiveX is mostly
an evil thing and should be disabled by default anyway.

Fred

I suggest you stop wanting it. Usability-wise, this is just ghastly.

IE requires both JavaScript and ActiveX enabled for the total effect. An
error is thrown when JS is enabled, but not ActiveX. ActiveX is mostly
an evil thing and should be disabled by default anyway.

can you provide any ideas on how to approach this?

I'm open to suggestions?

Jonathan N. Little

can you provide any ideas on how to approach this?

I'm open to suggestions?

How about a clearer idea of what you hope to accomplish? An example URL?
If is is just a pretty picture effect, then Flash may be your best
answer and your problems are in Dreamweaver and not Flash.

Ed Seedhouse

I suggest you stop wanting it. Usability-wise, this is just ghastly.

Maybe he really wants to drive as many people away from his site as
possible, in which case that effect would certainly be both appropriate
and effective..

Fred

How about a clearer idea of what you hope to accomplish? An example URL?
If is is just a pretty picture effect, then Flash may be your best
answer and your problems are in Dreamweaver and not Flash.

Well, I'd like to have 3 or 4 separate text messages that will sit on
a backround image. The text will fade (I'd like the fade to be slow
and smooth) from one message to the next.

That's it.

Got any ideas on how to approach this?

I don't have a link right now.

Bergamot

Fred said:
Well, I'd like to have 3 or 4 separate text messages that will sit on
a backround image. The text will fade (I'd like the fade to be slow
and smooth) from one message to the next.

Please don't do this.

What if the user isn't done reading a message before it starts
disappearing? Do you think they'll have the patience to wait for it to
come around again? What if they are done reading it long before the next
one starts coming in? Do you want them to sit there and wait until *you*
think it's time to continue?

If you want something to be read, don't make it a moving target.

Fred

Please don't do this.

What if the user isn't done reading a message before it starts
disappearing? Do you think they'll have the patience to wait for it to
come around again? What if they are done reading it long before the next
one starts coming in? Do you want them to sit there and wait until *you*
think it's time to continue?

If you want something to be read, don't make it a moving target.

Berg,

I think your are correct in your statement.

How about presenting a diferent text message on page refresh.

How would you approach that idea?

Jonathan N. Little

Fred said:
Berg,

I think your are correct in your statement.

How about presenting a diferent text message on page refresh.

How would you approach that idea?
How about:

Page 1 with a link to Page 2 when the user finishes reading Page 1. Page
2 with a link to Page 3 when the user finishes reading Page 2 or a link
back to Page 1 in case he missed something...

Fred

How about:

Page 1 with a link to Page 2 when the user finishes reading Page 1. Page
2 with a link to Page 3 when the user finishes reading Page 2 or a link
back to Page 1 in case he missed something...

The text (copy) is very brief (under 20 words). They are testimonials
that are placed on a postit note grahic. There are over 10
testimonials.

These testimonials will reside on the front page.

Jonathan N. Little

Fred said:
The text (copy) is very brief (under 20 words). They are testimonials
that are placed on a postit note grahic. There are over 10
testimonials.

These testimonials will reside on the front page.

Flash is your best solution.