failed perl upgrade

afith13

I just started learning perl and I currently have perl 5.8.8 installed
on mac os x 10.5.5.
I tried to install perl 5.8.9 rc1 but the make install command failed
because it couldn't find my C compiler.
Could this corrupt perl 5.8.8? How do I find/fix the C compiler so I
can complete the update?

Owen

I just started learning perl and I currently have perl 5.8.8 installed
on mac os x 10.5.5.
I tried to install perl 5.8.9 rc1 but the make install command failed
because it couldn't find my C compiler.
Could this corrupt perl 5.8.8? How do I find/fix the C compiler so I
can complete the update?

How about installing the C compiler?

What are you using, if it is a distro, they mostly have packages you
can install.

Then having installed the compiler, read the INSTALL or README in the
perl package and try and understand what you are doing, otherwise you
might clobber your 5.8.8.

Good luck

Owen

Owen

Owen

How about installing the C compiler?

What are you using, if it is a distro, they mostly have packages you
can install.

Then having installed the compiler, read the INSTALL or README in the
perl package and try and understand what you are doing, otherwise you
might clobber your 5.8.8.

Good luck

You can probably safely ignore my reply as I did not note the Mac OS
part. Wait for a Mac Man to answer!

Sherm Pendley

I just started learning perl and I currently have perl 5.8.8 installed
on mac os x 10.5.5.

If you're just starting, that's good enough. Installing a new Perl is
"running" - learn to walk first.

sherm--