    Could this corrupt perl 5.8.8? How do I find/fix the C compiler so I
    can complete the update?
    , Nov 23, 2008

  2. Owen Guest

    On Nov 23, 5:48 pm, wrote:
    > I just started learning perl and I currently have perl 5.8.8 installed
    > on mac os x 10.5.5.
    > I tried to install perl 5.8.9 rc1 but the make install command failed
    > because it couldn't find my C compiler.
    > Could this corrupt perl 5.8.8? How do I find/fix the C compiler so I
    > can complete the update?

    How about installing the C compiler?

    What are you using, if it is a distro, they mostly have packages you
    can install.

    Then having installed the compiler, read the INSTALL or README in the
    perl package and try and understand what you are doing, otherwise you
    might clobber your 5.8.8.

    Good luck

    Owen

    Owen
    Owen, Nov 23, 2008

  3. Owen Guest

    On Nov 23, 6:21 pm, Owen <> wrote:
    > On Nov 23, 5:48 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > I just started learning perl and I currently have perl 5.8.8 installed
    > > on mac os x 10.5.5.
    > > I tried to install perl 5.8.9 rc1 but the make install command failed
    > > because it couldn't find my C compiler.
    > > Could this corrupt perl 5.8.8? How do I find/fix the C compiler so I
    > > can complete the update?

    > How about installing the C compiler?
    >
    > What are you using, if it is a distro, they mostly have packages you
    > can install.
    >
    > Then having installed the compiler, read the INSTALL or README in the
    > perl package and try and understand what you are doing, otherwise you
    > might clobber your 5.8.8.
    >
    > Good luck

    You can probably safely ignore my reply as I did not note the Mac OS
    part. Wait for a Mac Man to answer!
    Owen, Nov 23, 2008
  4. writes:

    > I just started learning perl and I currently have perl 5.8.8 installed
    > on mac os x 10.5.5.

    If you're just starting, that's good enough. Installing a new Perl is
    "running" - learn to walk first.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com