failed to connect to SQL server from asp.net

ajfish

Hello,

I have an asp.net application which connects to SQL server using the
normal ado.net mechanism. One customer cannot get it to connect to the
database. his connection string is

user id=aaaa;password=bbbb;initial catalog=cccc;server=dddd

and he gets the message:

Cannot open database requested in login 'cccc'. Login fails. Login
failed for user 'aaaa'.

The customer insists that he has the values in the connection string
correct; the only unusual thing is that dddd is actually the IP address
rather than the host name of the SQL server box.

I am not in a position to do any direct investigation myself. many
other customers are using the same software without problems. does
anyone have any clues what might cause this error, other than invalid
username/password combination?

TIA

Andy

Guest

If the Sql Server is not enabled for "Mixed mode" (both SQL and Windows)
authentication, they could possibly get that error.
Peter

Andy Fish

Bob Barrows said:
That's the only cause I know of.

when I looked at the error message a little closer and reproduced it, I
realised the problem was actually down to the database name being incorrect,
not the username and password

d'oh !