    i keep getting this error when i run the script: Failed to connect to
    mail server: Unknown error.

    Any one has any idea how i can solve this problem? Thanks in advance =)

    da_sotong, Jun 22, 2004

  2. da_sotong

    Bob Walton Guest

    da_sotong wrote:

    > I've a perl script that does the sending of email using MIME..however
    > i keep getting this error when i run the script: Failed to connect to
    > mail server: Unknown error.
    >
    > Any one has any idea how i can solve this problem? Thanks in advance =)

    Nope. No idea at all. Maybe I could get an idea if you posted some
    code -- like a small standalone portion of your program which
    demonstrates your problem and that anyone can copy/paste/execute to
    demonstrate said problem. Copy/paste your code, don't retype it.

    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Sounds like your host doesn't have the privilege to connect to
    the related mail server. I suggest to make a

    telnet mailhost.example.org 25

    at your shell prompt on the machine where this problem occurs
    and look if you see the remote mailserver's welcome message
    or not.

    You can use MIME::Lite in a fashion with Sendmail instead of smtp:

    MIME::Lite->send("sendmail", "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -oi -oem");

    (Check the path: "which sendmail" as root)
    This will work if your Sendmail is configured correctly ;-)

    HTH
    --Reto

    p.s.
    I agree with Bob's posting: