Failed to enable constraints

cs_in_va

I get the following error when trying to access a page (prodcuts.aspx)
with a single drop down list box bound to a objectdata source linked
to my categoryBLL,.vb file. Here is what I have.

Table Categories with CategoryId and CategoryName.

My DAL for this is very simple again:

SELECT CategoryID, CategoryName, Image
FROM Categories

Have a categoryBLL with the following code:

Imports ADAHSTableAdapters

<System.ComponentModel.DataObject()> _
Public Class CategoriesBLL
Private _categoriesAdapter As CategoriesTableAdapter = Nothing
Protected ReadOnly Property Adapter() As CategoriesTableAdapter
Get
If _categoriesAdapter Is Nothing Then
_categoriesAdapter = New CategoriesTableAdapter()
End If

Return _categoriesAdapter (error line)
End Get
End Property

<System.ComponentModel.DataObjectMethodAttribute(System.ComponentModel.DataObjectMethodType.Select,
True)> _
Public Function GetCategories() As ADAHS.CategoriesDataTable
Return Adapter.GetCategories()
End Function

<System.ComponentModel.DataObjectMethodAttribute(System.ComponentModel.DataObjectMethodType.Select,
False)> _

Public Function GetCategoryByCategoryID(ByVal categoryID As
Integer) As ADAHS.CategoriesDataTable
Return Adapter.GetCategoriesByCategoryID(categoryID)
End Function
End Class

Error Message on aspx page:

Failed to enable constraints. One or more rows contain values
violating non-null, unique, or foreign-key constraints.

Exception Details: System.Data.ConstraintException: Failed to enable
constraints. One or more rows contain values violating non-null,
unique, or foreign-key constraints.

Source Error:

Line 2931: Me.Adapter.SelectCommand =
Me.CommandCollection(0)
Line 2932: Dim dataTable As ADAHS.CategoriesDataTable = New
ADAHS.CategoriesDataTable
Line 2933: Me.Adapter.Fill(dataTable)
Line 2934: Return dataTable
Line 2935: End Function

Stack Trace:

[ConstraintException: Failed to enable constraints. One or more rows
contain values violating non-null, unique, or foreign-key
constraints.]

.....More stuff,

CategoriesBLL.GetCategories() in C:\DNN_Web_Dev\ADAHS\App_Code\BLL
\CategoriesBLL.vb:18

Now when I preview the data in my tableadapter (categoriesDataTable) I
have no problem everything is displayed properly, but when I try and
link the Drop Down List to it I get the same error. I have tried not
using the BLL file and get the same error. Line 18 is "Return
_categoriesAdapter"

So where am I going wrong?

Thanks

Mr. Arnold

<snipped>

You have foreign key value that's in a table that's either a null value or
the value is not null but is pointing to key on a record in the foreign
table that's not there.

cs_in_va

<snipped>

You have foreign key value that's in a table that's either a null value or
the value is not null but is pointing to key on a record in the foreign
table that's not there.

Why would it work if I executed the query from the table adapter if
that were the case?

The table is fully populated. I have even taken away any FK's
responding to the categories table and still get the same issue.

Mr. Arnold

cs_in_va said:
Why would it work if I executed the query from the table adapter if
that were the case?

I don't know.
The table is fully populated. I have even taken away any FK's
responding to the categories table and still get the same issue.

I am just telling you what the message means. You got null data or invalid
data in a field pointing to a table that has a foreign constraint applied.

---------