    I suspect the problem is that I setup SQLexpress to use Windows
    authentication, but I also made sure that it allows ASPNET full rights.

    Can anybody lead me in the right direction with this? Thanks.
    James R. Davis, Dec 11, 2007

  2. I wish I had a dollar for every time this one comes up! SQLEXPRESS only
    supports "User Instance" connection mode on the local machine. To set up your
    database on a remote web server, you need to either ATTACH the MDF file and
    change your connection string, or use the database publishing wizard (free
    download) to create a full SQL Script which you can then run against the
    remote database to recreate your "Stuff".
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Dec 11, 2007

  3. I must be really dense because I cannot understand what you have just said
    about SQLExpress. That is, on my development system (W2K server), I built
    this application using SQLExpress. None of my testers had any trouble
    whatever in connecting with the development site using its URL and
    exercising the application. Further, on the target server the ASPNETDB.MDF
    is on THAT server within the APP_DATA directory - it is local to the
    application in other words.

    James R. Davis, Dec 11, 2007
  4. James R. Davis

    Norman Yuan Guest

    I hate to say it, but here you go:

    if you followed any ASP.NET2.0 book to build a web site and used ASP.NET
    management wizard to create ASPNETDB, and you have SQL Server Express
    installed, and you haven't study more on SQL Server Express's USER INSTANCE,
    then the problem is the natural outcome. MS (most ASP.NET 2.0 books) really
    should not make use of SQL Server Express' USER INSTANCE as default without
    explicitly requiring user to understand it first. You should only use USER
    INSTANCE when you know what it is and it is suitable to your application.

    Back to your direct problem (assume you have certainly known what USER
    INSTANCE is):

    1. Does the other server have SQL Server Express or other version of SQL
    Server? Only SQL Server Express support USER INSTANCE. If you run a web
    application from a server of hosting service provider, it is most likely
    they have full SQL Server (Std, or Ent. edition), not SQL Server Express.

    2. Even the server has SQL Server Express installed, deso it have its USER
    INSTANCE enabled? That is, when installing SQL Server Express, you can
    choose to enable/disable USER INSTANCE.

    3. ASPNETDB.mdf means nothing uless being attached to an instance of SQL
    Server (including USER INSTANCE).

    4. Most web application do not need to use USER INSTANCE.

    Norman Yuan, Dec 11, 2007
  5. It has been a constant problem for me to try to use SQLExpress on my target
    server. When I moved the application to the new server I received any
    number of connection error messages as indicated by this thread. When I
    created a new site on that server and moved the application to it, it worked
    perfectly. I checked the permissions on both sites and they are identical.

    In any event, since the target server is mine and I have a full SQL 2005
    instance running on it, I merely changed the connect strings to access data
    bases within it (after I copied the attached Express databases into it, of
    course) and now either the original target site or the new one work
    perfectly.

    This is not a criticism of Express exactly. I used it to develop the
    application and it was not going to be the production server at all. I
    merely wanted to test the application using Express before I went the extra
    mile and moved to the full SQL instance.

    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

    James R. Davis, Dec 12, 2007