failed to install PyOpengl-2.0.1.08 on Mandrake 10.0

Discussion in 'Python' started by danu kusmana, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. danu kusmana

    danu kusmana Guest

    Im using Python 2.3.4 and Mandrake linux 10.0. I don't
    know whats wrong when Im trying to install the
    PyOpengl-2.0.1.08. I got the message:

    gcc -pthread -shared
    build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/src/interface/GLUT.o
    -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11/lib
    -L/usr/X11R6/lib -Lbuild/temp.linux-i686-2.3 -lGL
    -lX11 -lXext -lGLU -lglut -lXi -lXmu -linterface_util
    -o build/lib.linux-i686-2.3/OpenGL/GLUT.so
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglut
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    I suspect it have something to do with the glut. Then
    I tried to install glut-3.6 but problem arise again It
    require libMesaGLU.so.3. I install the Mesa-6.2
    everything ok. But the libMesaGLU still doesnt exist.
    In the website it state that the packet doesnt include
    the libMesaGLU anymore. but instead they use another
    packed oss-openglu-20000925..rpm. But the packet
    failed also to install becuse it require
    libstdc++-libc6-1-1.so.2. I updated the gcc from 3.3.2
    to 3.4.2 but the library required still doenst exist.

    What should I do to fix all this problems????

    Thanx

    danu

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    danu kusmana, Oct 28, 2004

  2. danu kusmana

    Erik Johnson Guest

    Well.... you will have to take this with a big grain of salt, because it has
    been some while since I did much work with gcc, but it appears to me that
    the command line cited...

    > gcc -pthread -shared
    > build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/src/interface/GLUT.o
    > -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11/lib
    > -L/usr/X11R6/lib -Lbuild/temp.linux-i686-2.3 -lGL
    > -lX11 -lXext -lGLU -lglut -lXi -lXmu -linterface_util
    > -o build/lib.linux-i686-2.3/OpenGL/GLUT.so
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglut
    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    is trying to build one of the objects that's probably part of the glut
    library itself. The linker complains it can't find -lglut. '-lglut' tells
    the linker to link up with the glut library, found in one of directories
    specified with the -L flag. But if it's trying to build that library now,
    you shouldn't be trying to link with it.

    So, here's two things to try:

    1) Assuming GLUT.o is actually part of the glut library that's trying to
    be built here, find the equivalent line in the makefile and remove '-lglut'.
    If it compiles without complaint, things should be OK. If there are lots of
    errors about unresolved links, that implies to me GLUT.o is not actually
    part of the glut library. Put the -lglut back in and try the next step:

    2) Figure out where the glut library actually lives on your system. (It
    appears to be /usr/lib/libglut.so.3.7.1 on my SuSE 8.2 system.) If that
    location is not one of the directories already specified with your -L flags,
    add it. If it is already in that path, then I guess I don't know what the
    problem is.

    So... there's a couple of things to try. No promises, but I know I hate it
    when I am just simply stuck with nothing left to try.

    Good luck.
    -ej

    Erik Johnson, Oct 28, 2004