Failing to connect to remote SQL Server 2000 from ASP.NET 2.0 application

tamayi

I have a problem (like most others posting issues on this forum :) )

I have a remote server running Windows XP SP2, with both SQL Server
2005 Express with Advanced Features and SQL 2000 installed. I can
remotely connect to the SQL Server 2000 instance using Query Analyser
or Enterprise Manager. I can also remotely connect to the SQLEXPRESS
using Management Studio Express Edition.

I am writing an ASP.NET 2.0 with VS2005 application (actually upgraded
from .NET 1.1 with VS2003). However, now I cannot connect to the
remote SQL Server 2000 from the application. I can connect to a
locally installed SQL Server 2000 on the development machine, but I
cannot connect to the remote server. I get these two errors:

WITH NAMED PIPES DISABLED AND TCP/IP ENABLED IN THE SQL SERVER 2000
CLIENT NETWORK UTILITY
provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A connection attempt failed because
the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time,
or established connection failed because connected host has failed to
respond.

WITH BOTH NAMED PIPES AND TCP/IP ENABLED IN THE SQL SERVER 2000 CLIENT
NETWORK UTILITY (TCP/IP WITH HIGHER PREFERENCE THAN NAMED PIPES)
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not
open a connection to SQL Server)

I have also noticed that from VS2005 using the Server Explorer to add
a data connection, I can only connect to the remote SQL Server 2000 if
I use the OLEDB provider but not the SqlClient.

HOW CAN I FIX THIS? WHERE AM I GOING WRONG?