    <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />

    what the buggery am i supposed to do?

    thankyou

    the idiot, Mar 1, 2005

  2. the idiot

    Philip Ronan Guest

    the idiot wrote:

    > i keep getting this
    >
    > 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an attribute
    > value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'
    >
    > in relation to (the letter 's' in stylesheet) this
    >
    > <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
    >
    > what the buggery am i supposed to do?

    Put some quote marks around it

    <link rel="stylesheet" ...

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

    Philip Ronan, Mar 1, 2005

  3. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Philip Ronan" <> wrote in message
    > the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > i keep getting this
    > >
    > > 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an

    attribute
    > > value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'
    > >
    > > in relation to (the letter 's' in stylesheet) this
    > >
    > > <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
    > >
    > > what the buggery am i supposed to do?

    > Put some quote marks around it
    >
    > <link rel="stylesheet" ...

    aha cheers sir. my ignorance is in full bloom.

    the idiot, Mar 1, 2005
  4. the idiot

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Philip Ronan, Mar 1, 2005
  5. the idiot

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, the idiot <> said:

    > 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an attribute
    > value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'

    > <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
    >
    > what the buggery am i supposed to do?

    a) Quote your attributes, as required by the XHTML DTD.
    b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
    of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).

    Take your pick. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Mar 1, 2005
  6. the idiot

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Philip Ronan <> said:

    > Spring is in the air :)

    No it's not - we just started Autumn (that's "fall" for all those US
    folks). ;-)

    Mark Parnell, Mar 1, 2005
  7. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > Previously in alt.html, the idiot <> said:
    >
    > > 'Line 4, column 10: an attribute value specification must be an

    attribute
    > > value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified'

    > > <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="html/new.css" />
    > >
    > > what the buggery am i supposed to do?

    > a) Quote your attributes, as required by the XHTML DTD.
    > b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
    > of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).
    >
    > Take your pick. :)

    but i do understand them now (ish) ... anyway how do i learn if i dont ask?

    the idiot, Mar 1, 2005
  8. the idiot

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, the idiot <> said:
    > "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
    >> of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).

    Actually, thinking about this again, just go back to HTML regardless.
    There's no real reason for anyone to use XHTML, and you have to pretend
    it's HTML for IE to accept it anyway.

    > but i do understand them now (ish) ... anyway how do i learn if i dont ask?

    Read the specs. :)

    Assuming you have a decent knowledge of HTML, this is probably a good
    place to start:
    http://w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

    Mark Parnell, Mar 1, 2005
  9. the idiot

    > Previously in alt.html, the idiot <> said:
    > > "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> b) Go back to using HTML until you understand the stricter requirements
    > >> of XHTML (and no, it's not just that it's kewl).

    > Actually, thinking about this again, just go back to HTML regardless.
    > There's no real reason for anyone to use XHTML, and you have to pretend
    > it's HTML for IE to accept it anyway.
    >
    > > but i do understand them now (ish) ... anyway how do i learn if i dont

    ask?

    > Read the specs. :)
    >
    > Assuming you have a decent knowledge of HTML, this is probably a good
    > place to start:
    > http://w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

    i do but im an old man and the terminology confuses me. pesky kids.

    the idiot, Mar 2, 2005
  10. Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Assuming you have a decent knowledge of HTML, this is probably a good
    > place to start:
    > http://w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

    Just beware that
    a) not all items listed there are differences between HTML 4 and XHTML
    (item 4.1 is not a difference, and item 4.7 is incorrect as formulated
    - it does not apply to attributes with CDATA values)
    b) it does not contain all the differences
    (e.g., the name attribute was removed from XHTML 1.0, by the DTD,
    despite the prose text; I'm afraid nobody really cared about
    collecting all the actual differences)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 3, 2005