failure building python 2.5 on mac os x 10.3.9

Thomas Ploch

Hello,

I followed the instructions in the Mac/README file.

I ran ./configure --enable-framework

But when I try to build from source with gcc 4.0.2, following happens:

[snip]
libtool: can't locate file for: -lSystemStubs
libtool: file: -lSystemStubs is not an object file (not allowed in a
library)
make: *** [Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python] Error 1

What does that mean?

Thanks,
Thomas

Markus Rosenstihl

Hello,

I followed the instructions in the Mac/README file.

I ran ./configure --enable-framework

But when I try to build from source with gcc 4.0.2, following happens:

[snip]
libtool: can't locate file for: -lSystemStubs
libtool: file: -lSystemStubs is not an object file (not allowed in a
library)
make: *** [Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python] Error 1

What does that mean?

Thanks,
Thomas

I had the same problem (why do you have gcc-4.0.2?).

-lSystemStubs is in Tiger

First of all, try to install the 10.4 SDK as it will keep you away of a
lot of linking problems and such stuff. (yes, it will install on 10.3.9
and since then i had no compile problems, i found this as an answer in
a post in the apple discussions)

Then try to compile it again after you have deleted the python source
tree (or "make clean").
If that is still not working you have to edit the Makefile from Python
and remove the -lSystemStubs
(i think both ways work, but i am not sure)

Make sure you have either a patched readline 5.1 or better a readline
5.2. Otherwise you will get segmentation faults when you are using
ipython.

If it is still not working,
Good luck!

Thomas Ploch

Markus said:
[...]

Thank you,
has been quite a while since I asked, almost forgot about that one. :)

I have been using static python for a while, because I couldn't get
around the problem. But after a while I needed the dynamic linker for
some extensions so I thought about what it could be.

I ran into the Mac OS 10.3.9 Python (the shipped one) Bug, and
remembered not having fixed it with the fixmacpython.py (or whatever
it's called) script. So I tried building python framework again, and
whoohoo, it worked. I dunno if it was that or that I updated libtool,
gettext and all that stuff, but hey, I have to admint, I don't care
anymore. :)

But it's nice to know that the Tiger Dev Tools run on Panther as well.

Thomas