failure in irb with rubycocoa (MAC OS X)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by normanrosner@googlemail.com, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi there,

    after installing RubyCocoa on Mac OS X i tried the first steps with it
    in irb:

    That's what happened
    >> require 'osx/cocoa'

    /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0/rubycocoa.bundle: [BUG]
    Bus Error
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]

    Abort trap

    Does anybody had the same probs or is it just because my machine is too
    old ;)
    I remember bus errors very well from C++

    Whats happening here? Does anybody know the answer and can help me?

    Kind regards
    norman
    , Nov 17, 2006

  2. Hi,

    On Nov 17, 2006, at 2:05 AM, wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > after installing RubyCocoa on Mac OS X i tried the first steps with it
    > in irb:
    >

    > That's what happened
    >>> require 'osx/cocoa'

    > /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0/rubycocoa.bundle: [BUG]
    > Bus Error
    > ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
    >
    > Abort trap

    I believe this was a Ruby bug that has been fixed in 1.8.5, so you
    should consider upgrading your Ruby distribution (1.8.2 is a bit old
    anyway).

    HTH,
    Laurent
    Laurent Sansonetti, Nov 17, 2006

  3. On 17/nov/06, at 02:05, wrote:

    > That's what happened
    >>> require 'osx/cocoa'

    > /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0/rubycocoa.bundle: [BUG]
    > Bus Error
    > ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]

    The first thing you should do is upgrading ruby: 1.8.2 is quite old.
    You can follow the Mac OS X instructions here:
    http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger
    That URL is even referenced by developer.apple.com.

    Anyway, under Cocoa SIGBUS is usually received when something tries
    to send messages to an object which has already been released.
    The following Objective C code:
    [myObject release];
    [myObject someMessage];
    is likely to produce a Bus Error signal (as long as nothing else
    retains myObject).

    So, if upgrading ruby doesn't actually fix the problem, there could
    be a bug of this kind within rubycocoa.
    (Finally Apple will release Objective C 2.0 with garbage collector
    along with Leopard! :))

    --
    Gabriele Marrone
    Gabriele Marrone, Nov 17, 2006
  4. jeckyll Guest

    Gabriele Marrone wrote:
    > On 17/nov/06, at 02:05, wrote:
    >
    > > That's what happened

    > > /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0/rubycocoa.bundle: [BUG]
    > > Bus Error
    > > ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]

    > The first thing you should do is upgrading ruby: 1.8.2 is quite old.
    > You can follow the Mac OS X instructions here:
    > http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger
    > That URL is even referenced by developer.apple.com.

    I've already installed the latest version of ruby in /usr/local/bin but
    "my ruby" with Rubycocoa doesn't work. So i tried the internal ruby. Or
    should i just overwrite the internal ruby? Is that possible at least ?
    :)
    jeckyll, Nov 17, 2006
  5. On 17/nov/06, at 20:25, jeckyll wrote:

    > I've already installed the latest version of ruby in /usr/local/bin
    > but
    > "my ruby" with Rubycocoa doesn't work. So i tried the internal
    > ruby. Or
    > should i just overwrite the internal ruby? Is that possible at least ?
    > :)

    Did you install the binaries from the .dmg? I don't know whether it
    looks for ruby in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.
    Anyway, it could be a RubyCocoa bug. Are you sure you're using the
    latest version?
    Try downloading the latest stable version from SVN:

    svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rubycocoa/trunk rubycocoa

    Then you can compile and install it by typing:

    ruby install.rb config
    ruby install.rb setup
    sudo ruby install.rb install

    within the rubycocoa/src/ directory. Config should use --prefix=/usr/
    local by default.
    If you don't have svn, look here: http://metissian.com/projects/
    macosx/subversion/ (I had the fink version installed, but I think it
    was broken, I wasn't able to install https support no matter how I
    tried. Maybe they fixed it now, I don't really know).

    --
    Gabriele Marrone
    Gabriele Marrone, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Tom Pollard Guest

    On Nov 17, 2006, at 2:25 PM, jeckyll wrote:
    > I've already installed the latest version of ruby in /usr/local/bin
    > but
    > "my ruby" with Rubycocoa doesn't work. So i tried the internal
    > ruby. Or
    > should i just overwrite the internal ruby? Is that possible at least ?

    Of course it's possible, but it's likely to be a bad idea. Among
    other reasons or other MacOSX software may expect Apple's original
    installation to be there and some future Apple OS upgrade may want to
    modify or add to the builtin ruby. As a general rule, you should
    leave the Apple-installed unix utilities alone. Just install your
    own in /usr/local and make sure your PATH is set so that commands you
    issue use the /usr/local versions preferentially.

    There's no reason I'm aware of that your own ruby installation (in /
    usr/local, or elsewhere) shouldn't work.

    Tom
    Tom Pollard, Nov 20, 2006
  7. jeckyll Guest

    Tom Pollard wrote:
    > On Nov 17, 2006, at 2:25 PM, jeckyll wrote:
    > > I've already installed the latest version of ruby in /usr/local/bin
    > > but
    > > "my ruby" with Rubycocoa doesn't work. So i tried the internal
    > > ruby. Or
    > > should i just overwrite the internal ruby? Is that possible at least ?

    > Of course it's possible, but it's likely to be a bad idea. Among
    > other reasons or other MacOSX software may expect Apple's original
    > installation to be there and some future Apple OS upgrade may want to
    > modify or add to the builtin ruby. As a general rule, you should
    > leave the Apple-installed unix utilities alone. Just install your
    > own in /usr/local and make sure your PATH is set so that commands you
    > issue use the /usr/local versions preferentially.
    >
    > There's no reason I'm aware of that your own ruby installation (in /
    > usr/local, or elsewhere) shouldn't work.
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom,

    so my ruby-installation works fine in /usr/local/ but it doesn't work
    with rubycocoa.
    Maybey i should install rubycocoa in /usr/local/ too with prefix
    config?

    norm
    jeckyll, Nov 20, 2006
  8. Tom Pollard Guest

    On Nov 20, 2006, at 10:14 AM, jeckyll wrote:
    > so my ruby-installation works fine in /usr/local/ but it doesn't work
    > with rubycocoa.
    > Maybey i should install rubycocoa in /usr/local/ too with prefix
    > config?

    Yes, that's how you should install modules that you want to use with
    your /usr/local ruby installation. I'm not familiar with RubyCocoa,
    unfortunately. For most modules, you should just need to go through
    the usual installation procedure, but use /usr/local/bin/ruby instead
    of Apple's ruby.

    Tom
    Tom Pollard, Nov 20, 2006